Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   The Podium (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/)
-   -   Obama appoints first transgender woman to US Gov. post (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/obama-appoints-first-transgender-woman-us-gov-post-12632.html)

jeffb 01-05-2010 03:24 PM

Obama appoints first transgender woman to US Gov. post
 
Quote:

Amanda Simpson, 49, has been made senior technical adviser at the commerce department in the bureau of industry of security.

She had the operation to change from man to woman in the late 1990s while working at the missile firm Raytheon in Arizona. She shares joint custody of her 13-year-old son with her former spouse.

"But as one of the first transgender presidential appointees to the federal government, I hope that I will soon be one of hundreds, and that this appointment opens future opportunities for many others."

A former test pilot for Raytheon who helped persuade the company to adopt a policy protecting employees from discrimination and abuse based on gender identity, she will be responsible for protecting national security through the management of international trade, enforcement of treaties, and promotion of homeland, economic and cyber security.
First transgender woman appointed to senior US government post - Telegraph

Windex 01-05-2010 03:27 PM

is it a thumbs up because he/she is transgendered or qualified?

jeffb 01-05-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 302466)
is it a thumbs up because he/she is transgendered or qualified?

Both

Superjudge 01-05-2010 03:29 PM

both, obviously dork!
:mischief:

Windex 01-05-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 302471)
both, obviously dork!
:mischief:

not that obvious
there have been many instances where a person has received a job based on race/gender

Barracuda 01-05-2010 03:33 PM

Somehow I didn't hear about this, although I work at a Gay and Lesbian radio station.

Someone dropped the ball.

Windex 01-05-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barracuda (Post 302479)
Someone dropped the ball.

:haha: yes, I'm immature :bonk:

Barracuda 01-05-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 302495)
:haha: yes, I'm immature :bonk:

After I posted that, I was waiting for a comment about dropped balls. :p

Ligeia 01-05-2010 08:25 PM

I think the reason for the thumbs up is obvious: being transgendered was not an obstacle to being appointed. Whether they deserve it or not is a question that applies to everyone.

GrannyFro 01-13-2010 06:06 PM

as jeff would say
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::h aha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::hah a::haha:

a rare specimen indeed

jeffb 01-13-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyFro (Post 309529)
as jeff would say
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::h aha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::hah a::haha:

a rare specimen indeed

Such a child as usual.

http://www.nolandentalpros.com/image...mb-sucking.jpg

Kuzzy 01-13-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 302478)
not that obvious
there have been many instances where a person has received a job based on race/gender

I agree with you.
I appreicate Obama's liberal attitude and his attempt to create greater inclusion in America. It's just that sometimes it seems like companies/government try to balance different sexes/races within their organizations just to APPEAR accepting and tolerant

Ligeia 01-13-2010 07:35 PM

Again, I re-iterate that looking at this from the angle of "They're LGBT, so did that play a role in their hiring?" is an unecessarily restricted view. It is no different than many appointments that were made in the previous 8 years just because the appointee was a conservative. The question of whether someone brings the appropriate experience and knowledge is one that should be put forth of any nomination or appointment, and should not be framed exclusively around the LGBT issue.

Bill Haverchuck 01-14-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligeia (Post 309560)
Again, I re-iterate that looking at this from the angle of "They're LGBT, so did that play a role in their hiring?" is an unecessarily restricted view. It is no different than many appointments that were made in the previous 8 years just because the appointee was a conservative. The question of whether someone brings the appropriate experience and knowledge is one that should be put forth of any nomination or appointment, and should not be framed exclusively around the LGBT issue.

+1

"Attorneygate" illustrates your point. When that fool Monica Goodling was thrust into the public spotlight, all of a sudden, reporters and bloggers finally realized that dozens and dozens (the Regent website used to say over 100, and it was possibly true) of graduates from Regent University Law School were working within the Bush Administration, including filling important appointed posts. I mean, seriously, Regent fucking University? That's not the best and the brightest the US has to offer. The Bush administration shamelessly filled positions with unqualified people who were loyal to Bush's brand of conservatism.

LX 01-14-2010 07:00 AM

The Bushies shamelessly filled positions with people qualified to push a christian right agenda. They were all on a mission from God. Unless Obama is strictly serving Satan, I'm not sure if there is a direct equivalency. But yeah - qualifications do matter. That really does get lost pretty easy in the US for some reason though. The old boys network did work pretty well for a lot of years - for the old boys. Habits die hard I guess.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24