McDonalds sues McCurry
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Angry McDonalds sues McCurry

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - An eight-year legal battle between fast food giant McDonald's and a Malaysian restaurant called McCurry over copyright infringement is set to continue on Monday in the country's highest court.

ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's, which has 185 outlets in Malaysia, is appealing against the decision made on April 29 that its trademark had not been infringed upon by the local restaurant, which has one outlet in the Southeast Asian country's capital of Kuala Lumpur.


McCurry serves Malaysian staples such as fish head curry and is short for "Malaysian Chicken Curry," according to the company website (Original McCurry Recipe, McCurry Taste and McCurry Food from McCurry Restaurant Malaysia).


"The whole issue is about the name of my restaurant on the signboard," McCurry owner, P. Suppiah told Reuters on Friday.


Monday's hearing in the federal court will determine if the


case goes to another trial.


The McDonald's operation in this country of 27 million people is run as a franchise by prominent businessman Vincent Tan.


"McDonald's vigorously defends its trademarks against violations anywhere in the world. This particular case is no different," McDonald's Asia corporate relations vice president, Liam Jeory, said in an emailed statement.


(Reporting by Royce Cheah; Editing by Bill Tarrant)
Very stupid. Suing over the Mc. It's just a tiny company come on!
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

McDonald's vs McCurry heads for Malaysia court again - Yahoo! Canada News
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
waiting for the Masai-a

on ihateus
 
Torontosaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria, home of the Nash-ites
Posts: 3,700
Representing:
Default

Lol - reminds me when I was living in Cambodia and they had KFC: Khmer fried chicken
Torontosaurus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

I remember before McDonalds sold "McFlurries" this very popular local convenience store sold that same sort of thing and called it a "Flurry". Well, when McDonald began selling the product and bought up the rights to the name "McFlurry" and anything close to it they went after these small Mom and Pop shops and made them remove the name "Flurry". These small convience stores were no threat to McDonalds. Anyway, it just goes to show you that big corporations all bully anyone who they want. Corporations have many benefits but the negatives they bring in to a community, such as killing small time business, or aka. entrepreneurship, really make you wonder if we've taken the correct road as a society. A burger for a buck is nice but is a corporate ruled society worth it?
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I remember before McDonalds sold "McFlurries" this very popular local convenience store sold that same sort of thing and called it a "Flurry". Well, when McDonald began selling the product and bought up the rights to the name "McFlurry" and anything close to it they went after these small Mom and Pop shops and made them remove the name "Flurry". These small convience stores were no threat to McDonalds. Anyway, it just goes to show you that big corporations all bully anyone who they want. Corporations have many benefits but the negatives they bring in to a community, such as killing small time business, or aka. entrepreneurship, really make you wonder if we've taken the correct road as a society. A burger for a buck is nice but is a corporate ruled society worth it?
That's most big corps. I like to think there are one or two good ones.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
a dick

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,151
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
That's most big corps. I like to think there are one or two good ones.
They're all the same unless they're non-profit.
Apollo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
They're all the same unless they're non-profit.
Some non-profit organizations are awful. There are even some crooked charities and as much as I support animal rights, the people at PETA are crazy spilling animal blood on expensive leather. Their new thing I'll stick with my own skin is when they go naked. What a bunch of nut jobs!
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
a gearbox of epic proportions.

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,051
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to B-RAD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsdabest View Post
Some non-profit organizations are awful. There are even some crooked charities and as much as I support animal rights, the people at PETA are crazy spilling animal blood on expensive leather. Their new thing I'll stick with my own skin is when they go naked. What a bunch of nut jobs!
they aren't a bunch of nut jobs when they have babes like eva mendez who go naked in their ad.
B-RAD is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
back

Senior Member
 
DuCa00795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Maratimes
Posts: 3,270
Representing:
Default

lol, is it just one small litle business? or a chain of them?
DuCa00795 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
lol, is it just one small litle business? or a chain of them?
McCurry is just one small business.
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
KABOOOOOOOSHHHH

straight out of COMPTON
 
CB4Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,284
Representing:
Default

thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard there is a store called mcdoner in france but they dint get sued...this is just stupid
CB4Real is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
enjoying the RealGM courtesy of RF

Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 839
Representing:
Default

McCurry won!
rapsdabest is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Derozan Dunks McDonalds All American Game BRAY88 Toronto Raptors 6 01-30-2010 06:49 PM
Air Canada Sues Obama Administration Over Ban Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 0 09-10-2009 05:05 PM
Wade sues wife arsonal NBA Talk 19 02-23-2009 12:08 AM
Bosh and Howard chillin at Beijing Mcdonalds Ball Don't Lie Entertainment Lounge 4 08-19-2008 02:14 PM
Bosh: 13 Hour Flight, Macao Like Vegas, McDonalds In China! Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 18 07-28-2008 06:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24