G20 Summit - Page 7
Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #121 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Send those fucking articles to chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #122 (permalink)
Rob Ford's dopeman.

Senior Member
 
Febreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anywhere there's Internet
Posts: 2,845
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Send those fucking articles to chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade.
Damn, right .
Febreezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #123 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

many of these arrests are an embarrassment. police vans just rounding up people for the colour of their clothes or for the fact that they have backpacks, and refusing to comment on what the charges are. none of these arrests will stick, but the people are removed from the streets without just cause. the police did nothing to stop the property damage yesterday, and they used that violence as a excuse to trample on the civil liberties of hundreds of innocent people. this is making me sick. we are currently living in a police state. my father, who grew up in wwii germany, is shuddering with how much this reminds him of his youth. i'm not calling our police nazis, but there is a real problem going on here in terms of abuses of power and restrictions of rights. we should be ashamed.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #124 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,757
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
many of these arrests are an embarrassment. police vans just rounding up people for the colour of their clothes or for the fact that they have backpacks, and refusing to comment on what the charges are. none of these arrests will stick, but the people are removed from the streets without just cause. the police did nothing to stop the property damage yesterday, and they used that violence as a excuse to trample on the civil liberties of hundreds of innocent people. this is making me sick. we are currently living in a police state. my father, who grew up in wwii germany, is shuddering with how much this reminds him of his youth. i'm not calling our police nazis, but there is a real problem going on here in terms of abuses of power and restrictions of rights. we should be ashamed.
They are just as bad.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #125 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

holy shit no, they are not anywhere close. you need to read your history kirby.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #126 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
many of these arrests are an embarrassment. police vans just rounding up people for the colour of their clothes or for the fact that they have backpacks, and refusing to comment on what the charges are. none of these arrests will stick, but the people are removed from the streets without just cause. the police did nothing to stop the property damage yesterday, and they used that violence as a excuse to trample on the civil liberties of hundreds of innocent people. this is making me sick. we are currently living in a police state. my father, who grew up in wwii germany, is shuddering with how much this reminds him of his youth. i'm not calling our police nazis, but there is a real problem going on here in terms of abuses of power and restrictions of rights. we should be ashamed.
Whatever.

Had they used the force necessary to stop these idiots from doing what they were doing, all the people that share that opinion would be crying foul the other way around.

"oh, how could they be so mean and nasty"

And when the idiots operating under so called "Black Bloc" fundamentals then fall back into the ranks of the regular protesters, those protesters, caught up in some sort of moral rage decide to hold their ground to protect their civil liberties and rights, well I'm sorry Trane' thats a great pollyanna way to look at the world around you, but you an dI both know that politics in theory is always fun. Sadly, it's only just theory, and it has ZERO effect on human nature.


You want no damage, you have to crush the opposing force. You want peace and safety, you have to absorb a little damage.

You want 100% guarantee that you won't be scooped up for wearing all black and carrying a back pack during a protest filled with Black Bloc'ers, stay the fuck home.

Otherwise shut up and take it like a grown up.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #127 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

so sj, is it your opinion that when a small group of violent people cause trouble, all citizens must stay indoors or risk being arrested because of the colour of their clothes? really? because that doesn't sound reasonable to me at all. having 500 cops in riot gear stand around watching easily identifiable people destroy windows and set cars on fire, and then using that damage as an excuse to overstep the legal rights of individuals is shameful. much of that damage was easily preventable, or at least a reason to arrest people, but it is obvious to me that the police knew that if they allowed it they could use it to their advantage, especially given the atrocious new powers granted to them by the ontario government without debate. this is most certainly not what democracy looks like.

i am blown away if you are honestly saying that police shouldn't arrest people doing violent property damage when it is right in front of them, but they should arrest people who are dressed like they might do that at some point in the future.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #128 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,865
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirHarold View Post
Anyone here think that the government (USA) is evil, and that the G20 protesters are the good guys here? (what they protest for, not the breaking crap part)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirHarold View Post
Are you serious?
Obama has already broken half the promises that he made before being elected.

9/11 being a hoax, it was used to make money and gain power by attacking Iraq and expanding their army for new world order. (just some things I've been convinced to believe, but the arguments were damn convincing.)



There are no convincing arguments that 9/11 was hoax. What "truthers" do have is a bunch of distorted evidence, outright lies, and paranoia. Oh, and occasionally they mix in with latent racism. If they aren't being anti-semetic and blaming "zionist" elements within the US government, then they are usually disrespecting Muslims without even realizing it. For example, a common "truther" line I used to hear: "how could guys in caves do that?"

Give me a break. Total ignorance. The hijackers weren't simply guys in fucking caves.

You're leaping from point B to point A. The US government did NOT have to cause 9/11 in order to take advantage of it. People benefit off of tragedy all the time, but it does not mean they intentionally cause those tragedies.

The fact of the matter is, believing this shit is actually beneficial to the US government. It keeps a bunch of confused, frustrated young people (and some really dumb older people) playing the role of Don Quixote. In doing so, you waste your time, because the people who actually have the ability to do something don't want to be associated with you. It's such a huge waste of energy and a lost opportunity. If you can mobilize all that frutstration and stupidity in a productive way, you would accomplish more. But nope. Not going to happen.

It's a fantastic wedge tactic. It's just so fucking sad that it's almost a decade later and it's still working. And the government isn't even trying to employ it; people spread this misinformation themselves. It's one of the tragedies of the internet. Great for spreading sound knowledge.....AND....total garbage.

So, yeah, you've got the same thing going at the G20 with the anarchists that you had going at the Iraq protests 5 years ago. The militant anarchists flip out and break shit, which causes a wedge amongst protestors. It also provides right wing outlets with an opportunity to brandish the protestors as bad people and, if they want to get sneaky, imply that they are all lefties, even though there is a significant difference between lefties and anarchists. And the "truthers" fucked shit up during the Iraq protests. Those dumbass "truthers" would show up with their "inside jobby job" banners and piss off the other protestors who did NOT believe that. And many American "truthers" are actually libertarain right wing extremists, even though, again, the left gets blammed for their bullshit. It helps discredit the left wing protestors of the war when you have such dumbasses hijacking their protests. It's easy to say "just ignore those protestors, they believe it was an inside job. How can you trust their opinion on anything." Just like it's easy to say "look at those criminals breaking stuff at the G20 protests. How can you trust their opinion on anything."

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 06-27-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #129 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Nope.

I believe what I'm saying is what I've just said.

Nothing in between the lines Trane.

lets not argue ok. I'm not a dim witted as you think, and I actually have a lot more compassion than you believe. I would rather not insult a good guy like you.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #130 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

what? i don't think you are dim witted, and i understand you have compassion. you don't need to insult me to try to make a convincing argument. that's just a cop out.

this is what you said:

Quote:
Whatever.

Had they used the force necessary to stop these idiots from doing what they were doing, all the people that share that opinion would be crying foul the other way around.

.........

You want 100% guarantee that you won't be scooped up for wearing all black and carrying a back pack during a protest filled with Black Bloc'ers, stay the fuck home.

Otherwise shut up and take it like a grown up.
how is that different than how i described it?

Quote:
i am blown away if you are honestly saying that police shouldn't arrest people doing violent property damage when it is right in front of them, but they should arrest people who are dressed like they might do that at some point in the future.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #131 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

nah.

I know what Im saying.

It's right there. Simplify to make it work for your argument, is ok by me. Like I said, I don't wanna argue with you.

Protest good
riot bad

lets not forget what the point of all this is anyhow. They didn't spend a billion bucks to save a Starbucks window.

It's all about the G20 leaders safety

And from what I can tell. They are safe.

mission accomplished so far.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #132 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

oh my...

i made a post about the abuse of civil liberties, which you countered by making some kind of argument about the necessity of the police tactics. i make a counter argument, and you accuse me of over-simplification, and then you reduce your own argument to protest good, riot bad, which has little, if anything, to do with the question of police tactics.

and i truly hope that there is a larger social role of our police force than to ensure the safety of leaders while citizens get pushed around for doing things that are entirely within their rights.

but sure, i oversimplified. it is my faulty logic. sure. as long as we're all safe, there's no need to debate, right?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #133 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,757
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
holy shit no, they are not anywhere close. you need to read your history kirby.
Alright I've seen the movie and of course they aren't killing people for fun at random, but there are many cases where the police have treated people inhumanely.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #134 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

the movie?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #135 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

from reuters:

Quote:
Despite the clashes and arrests, the anti-Group of 20 protests in Toronto this weekend were smaller and more peaceful than the giant riots of years past -- a sign, say activists and analysts, of a changing dynamic between civil society groups and the world's economic leaders...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #136 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,865
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
This is from FOX NEWS of all places..
Jeff, you'd actually expect an article like that to come from Fox News. There's nothing surprising about it. It is attributing part of Canada's economic strength to corporate tax cuts.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #137 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,757
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirHarold View Post
Alright I've seen the movie and of course they aren't killing people for fun at random, but there are many cases where the police have treated people inhumanely.
I think it was called "the Pianist" lol.
watched it in history class.
Kirby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #138 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,399
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
many of these arrests are an embarrassment. police vans just rounding up people for the colour of their clothes or for the fact that they have backpacks...
I was talking to my cousin today, who is on the Oakville force. Apparently, most of the arrests were targeted at known trouble-makers. They had a lot of surveillance and a lot of info about who to go after.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #139 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,558
Representing:
Default

all i can say is that they better have committed a crime for which there is evidence. if we hear that people were arrested for crimes they might commit i'm going to be very disappointed in our police force and our government.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #140 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 691
Representing:
Default

Clearly on Saturday the city was out of control, they did what they could to stop it and they did. The police are trying to get the city back to its normal state, the only way is to catch most of the anarchists involved.. and so far they are doing a good job of that.
JackAstors is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24