Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   The Podium (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/)
-   -   Election Time. (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/election-time-3235.html)

Benzo 09-17-2008 01:13 PM

Election Time.
 
Unlike Americans, we as a country seem to take a passive approach to elections. We will be going to the polls in Oct I believe, but you wouldnt know it from the party websites.

Is there a complete disconnect between, the importance of elections the way the Canadian media, and general population view them.

I don't want to turn this into who we should vote for, however I am sure, LX, CG, Cotrane, Mike T.O and myself will blow this board up a little later about it.

(On that note, Mike I would like to have a "defeat the socialists in our forum" meeting next Tuesday)

My Questions is why in Canada, especially, the 18-28 age groups does no-one seem to care??

Snooch 09-17-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 56056)
Unlike Americans, we as a country seem to take a passive approach to elections. We will be going to the polls in Oct I believe, but you wouldnt know it from the party websites.

Is there a complete disconnect between, the importance of elections the way the Canadian media, and general population view them.

I don't want to turn this into who we should vote for, however I am sure, LX, CG, Cotrane, Mike T.O and myself will blow this board up a little later about it.

(On that note, Mike I would like to have a "defeat the socialists in our forum" meeting next Tuesday)

My Questions is why in Canada, especially, the 18-28 age groups does no-one seem to care??

In my case, there never seems to be any choice, only vote for a party, never really an individual.

If we had a say in who runs for each party then I would tend to vote more often.

Benzo 09-17-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie (Post 56058)
In my case, there never seems to be any choice, only vote for a party, never really an individual.

If we had a say in who runs for each party then I would tend to vote more often.

I have a say, and you could have a say if you chose too.

Snooch 09-17-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 56063)
I have a say, and you could have a say if you chose too.

If I decided to work for a party and join one.

I just want to rule.

Doesnt mater anyway the PM has no real power, he is just a figurehead for the old guard. Piss on our political system and its way of spending lots and doing little.

That is the last I'll say on the matter.

Belsius 09-17-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

My Questions is why in Canada, especially, the 18-28 age groups does no-one seem to care??
Its that way in most countries in the world. People just dont like any of the parties. And people who vote, vote for the one they hate less.

And theres more reasons.

Take me for example. Even though I was born in Spain, some of you may now that I have the USA citizenship since my parents are both american and I vote in Oklahoma. In November I will vote for the first time for a man I more or less respect even though I cant stand most democrats.
The problem is Oklahoma is the most Republican state in the USA with 75%. So my vote pretty much goes to the trash.
Many people would think its completelly useless to vote. People feel the same way all over the world. THey feel their vote is useless.

'trane 09-17-2008 01:58 PM

i think it's best if i stay far, far away from any political discussion on this board.

Acie 09-17-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 56074)
i think it's best if i stay far, far away from any political discussion on this board.

Yup, I don't like to discuss politics or religion...

Claudius 09-17-2008 02:11 PM

For the most part, I believe it comes down to a lack of "sexiness" (for lack of a beter term) when it comes to Canada in general.

None of the candidates are charisimatic; none of the issues are charismatic. In the US you have Iraq, the death of their economy, immigration, a decline of world stature etc. So, in an odd sense, Canadians have a closer connection to that political process right now than our own.

Now, is that an excuse? No, not really but when examined in the scope of a greater demographic study it could make alot of sense. The 18-35 range is the most coveted advertising and consumer range, next to tweens. Now, if they are the most coveted they've likely been bombarded with over the top marketing campaigns; or where they're essentially bought out by the highest bidder when it comes to the next good. That range is essentially babied and catered to. The political process is exactly opposite of that; there's no catering to that demographic. It would be my argument that today's 18-35 range is one of the most selfish demographics that has ever existed on the face of this earth. If it doesn't effect them in a very specific way, then they really don't care. And I think this could explain alot of why voter turn out is down.

Politics or voting is still very much seen as an "older" thing to do. In an era of what have you done for me lately, politics doesn't fill that immediate, visceral void. It does the opposite.

Now, how do you fix it? Don't really know.

ClingRap 09-17-2008 02:12 PM

I tend to get more involved in local politics more so than provincial and federal. Just to throw a not-so-well thought out response to Benzo's question of why young people tend to not get stoked about an election, it probably boils down to a bit of snoochies boochies was alluding to.
The American practice of having two diametrically oppposed individuals square off in a no-holds barred shitfest has kind of permeated the popular perception of what electoral politics is. A lot of young people have very little political awareness as is, and so having a system with up to six people running for the PM I think doesn't offer the type of conflict people are trained to gravitate towards.
Another problem is that simply put, most people, whatever way you want to slice them, don't understand that political system as is, and have very little interest in it. Parliamentary disucssions tend to only make the news when something significant happens, and it's usually again, playing up the diametric scheme of two people exchanging insults.
Young people want the sizzle, they've been given it, but they don't want the steak. For the large part it's a group littered with irresponsibility and unchecked narcissistic desires. That's a solid recipe for apathy in my opinion.

XiaominWu 09-17-2008 02:13 PM

Got a visit from both Peggy Nash and Gerard Kennedy last week. They are both excellent candidates. I can see Gerard being PM one day.

As ever, I'm faced with the dilemna of liking a local candidate and not liking a party leader. Of course, these days, I don't like any of the party leaders. lol.

jeffb 09-17-2008 02:22 PM

Politics in this country is so stupid.They call an election in September for October.The US takes a too long (2 years) approach to an election and we take the shot gun approach (1 month).Dumb!

Claudius 09-17-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 56094)
Politics in this country is so stupid.They call an election in September for October.The US takes a too long (2 years) approach to an election and we take the shot gun approach (1 month).Dumb!

That's why politics in this country are dumb? 1 month is plenty of time considering up until this point there was alot of campaigning already going on (see the conservatives v. liberals ads that date back to February). I think 1 month is perfect, otherwise people will lose interest.

But since it's a dumb idea, please share on what you would do to fix the situation.

Belsius 09-17-2008 02:27 PM

on the contrary 2 years elections is hypocrit, unnecesary and a waste of money. What can you tell in 2 years that you cant in one month. Two years of election distracts the people from the real problems in their country

rapsfan087 09-17-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 56056)
My Questions is why in Canada, especially, the 18-28 age groups does no-one seem to care??

Well it could be too (some of you guys have already said some reasons) that in Canada you haven't any really important issue or problem (at least what I know, haven't read nothing about) that makes them (and me at some past time in my life) lazy to think about who they stand for: while things are good enough, they don't need be fixed.

2 years of campaigning? wow, that sounds awfull, hope the money needed don't come from the citizens' taxes.

ClingRap 09-17-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsfan087 (Post 56110)
Well it could be too (some of you guys have already said some reasons) that in Canada you haven't any really important issue or problem (at least what I know, haven't read nothing about) that makes them (and me at some past time in my life) lazy to think about who they stand for: while things are good enough, they don't need be fixed.

2 years of campaigning? wow, that sounds awfull, hope the money needed don't come from the citizens' taxes.

The average election in Canada costs between 250 and 300 million dollars, which has pissed a lot of canadians off.
There really isn't any sort of major issue that stands out, other than the PM being disgruntled that all of the other political parties can't stand his politics and his consistent push towards privatization, smaller government, fewer social programs, lowering taxes while not addressing budget shennanigans.

LX 09-17-2008 04:41 PM

I really liked the idea of a minority Conservative government. Too bad they just couldn't swallow the idea themselves. If they don't give a shit about actually governing according to democratic principles, based upon how the country voted; and instead sabotage what was a 4 year expression of the will of the people, then why should anyone care?

Dr. J. Naismith 09-18-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 56056)
My Questions is why in Canada, especially, the 18-28 age groups does no-one seem to care??

Its because our elections don't impact the rest of the world like the American elections do unfortunately. :(

rapsfan087 09-19-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClingRap (Post 56111)
The average election in Canada costs between 250 and 300 million dollars, which has pissed a lot of canadians off.
There really isn't any sort of major issue that stands out, other than the PM being disgruntled that all of the other political parties can't stand his politics and his consistent push towards privatization, smaller government, fewer social programs, lowering taxes while not addressing budget shennanigans.

Wow, then I don't want to know how much the american elections cost.

IMO it sounds like the "typical" problems that all the countries use to have nowadays, although it doesn't make them smaller.

Think that what I like less are the privatizations, I have always thought that if a private company can get benefits, goverment should be able to keep it without losses ( public things aren't to get benefits, but to give services for the people).

Jay 09-20-2008 12:51 AM

This is the first time I'm actually pretty much disinterested. I don't have a clue which party to vote for this time, which should actually fuel my interest, but it hasn't. The one thing I wish would happen is that they could actually have proper debates. I find these televised shouting matches completely useless during elections. Same with parliament. How are people supposed to understand what the parties stand for when all you can hear is shouting, clapping and jeering. Pathetic.

ClingRap 09-20-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapsfan087 (Post 56419)

Think that what I like less are the privatizations, I have always thought that if a private company can get benefits, goverment should be able to keep it without losses ( public things aren't to get benefits, but to give services for the people).

Im pretty sure the american elections, the campaigns anyway are privately funded, which explains partially, how rooted the upper echelons of american society are in shaping the political scene.

Privatizing something, especially right now, with the economy the way its going is incredibly dangerous. When things go wrong economically, a private company simply throws out the workforce to cut their losses. Public sector, and publically funded industries can actually get you through a recession because in constantly operating at a loss, it keeps employed, keeps money circulating, goods exchanged....it's a counter-cyclic property. That's why scandanavian countries have such strong economies. where else in the world can a woman get nine years paid mat leave????


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24