Don Cherry: ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > The Podium

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default Don Cherry: ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’

over the weekend, Don Cherry remarked ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’ ....

this has been getting a lot of attention since, with people weighing in on his stance...

what do you guys think?
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

I wanted to post my opinion seperate from the initial post so as to not create any bias, but this is one time i agree with Don Cherry.
this is a man's dressing room, where men are showering, naked, dressing.
would it be ok for a male reporter to be in the woman's locker room? they would never let that happen. so why is it ok for a woman to be in a men's locker room?

Last edited by INSIDER; 04-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Wasn't this an issue 20yrs ago?

And isn't the media held out of the dressing room until the players are dressed. I don't see what the big deal is. I think grapes needs to retire.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Wasn't this an issue 20yrs ago?

And isn't the media held out of the dressing room until the players are dressed. I don't see what the big deal is. I think grapes needs to retire.
this was an issue over the weekend as a female reporter was in the blackhawks change room after their game.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
this was an issue over the weekend as a female reporter was in the blackhawks change room after their game.
And? That was a big thing?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Well you knew this was gonna draw fire. But, he's right and here's why. Men will never be allowed in women's dressing rooms. There is a reason for it, it's private. People are naked, and getting g treatment etc. Of course there are designated shower areas, but that's ridiculous as people will always stray from those.

There is a team comradery that I believe is real, and should be both protected and preserved for all teams, mens or women's. Why do the press even need to be in the room at all???? They don't need to be. They have a press conference after every game, there is more than enough time to get what they need there. The solution is simple, no press in the dressing rooms, period, problem solved.
:kadri:
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Banned
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,952
Representing:
Default

Don Cherry is an idiot who is stuck in the 1970's...nothing more than a parody of himself these days...imho, 90% of what he says about hockey is completely irrelevant
that being said...there IS a simple solution...NO reporters in the dressing room...set up a post game room for interviews
Shadowfax is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
Don Cherry is an idiot who is stuck in the 1970's...nothing more than a parody of himself these days...imho, 90% of what he says about hockey is completely irrelevant
that being said...there IS a simple solution...NO reporters in the dressing room...set up a post game room for interviews

This I can agreee with.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
And? That was a big thing?
please do not reply in this thread anymore.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
please do not reply in this thread anymore.

Why? I'm asking you what happened that made it such a big deal. Is it that hard? What made this an issue in Chicago?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Well you knew this was gonna draw fire. But, he's right and here's why. ...

The solution is simple, no press in the dressing rooms, period, problem solved.
:kadri:
that's not what he was saying. and he's definitely not right.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.
Agreed, but this isn't surprising coming from him. What was McClean's response, he's level headed.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
BOOBS

never too old.
 
INSIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond hill
Posts: 10,804
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.
so you believe women should be allowed in the men's change room after a game?
which means its ok for a man to be in a woman's change room? i'd like to see that ever happen.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Don Cherry, amid all the white noise of his old school BS, is still the only guy on TV who consistently seems to come up with the right answers on a shit load of topics. We love to hate him, he is xenophobic we say, he is racist, he is sexist. And if we say all these things, we are right.

People hate his constant yapping about the troops and his out dated ideologies and I can't say I disagree. Thanks however does not change two things. First, he is as old as fuck, he lived in those old eras, he played when the sport was being built, and saw a world war. Like it or not, guys like him fought in those wars, guys like that built our nation. So it's there that I ask people to give a guy a bit of room. There is always a perfectly PC ron maclean there to protect us. Second, he knows more about this game and how it works than 80 percent of the monkeys on TV. People don't like the delivery, but on many occasions he is bang on. From fighting, to concussions, to injuries and the way the game is officiated, he consistently, after the dust settles, is the guy you can look back and say "shit, i guess cherry was right".

I don't really like the man. But i respect where he comes from, I recognise his level of Hockey knowledge, and I know he will be missed when he is gone.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
so you believe women should be allowed in the men's change room after a game?
which means its ok for a man to be in a woman's change room? i'd like to see that ever happen.
i don't think any press should be in the locker room. but the issue is bigger than that. this is not about gender. what about strongly religious people? gay men? gay women? what about children of the athletes? why is anyone in the locker room who is not oart of the team?

as i said, it's so hopelessly paternalistic. the idea that these gentle flowers called women must be protected makes me sick to my stomach. they are grownups. they can deal with it, and so can the men. people need to be way less puritanical about this stuff.

this isn't about gender. slicing and dicing access based on cocks or cunts is just so silly. give access or don't.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Don Cherry, amid all the white noise of his old school BS, is still the only guy on TV who consistently seems to come up with the right answers on a shit load of topics. We love to hate him, he is xenophobic we say, he is racist, he is sexist. And if we say all these things, we are right.

People hate his constant yapping about the troops and his out dated ideologies and I can't say I disagree. Thanks however does not change two things. First, he is as old as fuck, he lived in those old eras, he played when the sport was being built, and saw a world war. Like it or not, guys like him fought in those wars, guys like that built our nation. So it's there that I ask people to give a guy a bit of room. There is always a perfectly PC ron maclean there to protect us. Second, he knows more about this game and how it works than 80 percent of the monkeys on TV. People don't like the delivery, but on many occasions he is bang on. From fighting, to concussions, to injuries and the way the game is officiated, he consistently, after the dust settles, is the guy you can look back and say "shit, i guess cherry was right".

I don't really like the man. But i respect where he comes from, I recognise his level of Hockey knowledge, and I know he will be missed when he is gone.
if he stuck to hockey, i'd have no problem with him. but he uses coach's corner as a pulpit, and it makes me sick.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
that's not what he was saying. and he's definitely not right.
I don't need you to tell me what was said, or if it was right. I know what he said, and the part about women in dressing rooms was right. If you cannot strip the other crap away, thats your thing, we both know you love that he mad ethereal outrageous pedestal comments, it allows you to get on your box and level him with your elite morality, as if that's even remotely difficult to do. So relax your engines, this isn't what Insiders thread asked. It asks, if after that event happened, if we agree about women in dressing rooms.

You think its ok, fine, Kadri is Muslim, maybe he disagrees. Men won't ever enter women's rooms, so really, removing the debate is simple, and the way to go.

So, are you really contribution g to the discussion, or are you just here to stomp on Don Cherry. I'd respect it more if you'd just admit what it is, because you might find little resistance.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,653
Representing:
Default

FYI - Male Reporters are allowed into the dressing rooms after WNBA games (the only female league that gets any significant media attention in North America) - so I've been led to believe by somebody writing in the Globe & Mail.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
if he stuck to hockey, i'd have no problem with him. but he uses coach's corner as a pulpit, and it makes me sick.
Fair. But we're discussing reporters in dressing rooms man. I don't disagree, i only just understand why he is the way he is, and why that likely won't change. I promise. I hear what you're saying, he isn't a good guy in many ways.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24