Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   The Podium (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/)
-   -   Don Cherry: ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’ (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f23/don-cherry-i-don-t-believe-women-should-male-dressing-room-25236.html)

INSIDER 04-29-2013 09:27 AM

Don Cherry: ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’
 
over the weekend, Don Cherry remarked ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’ ....

this has been getting a lot of attention since, with people weighing in on his stance...

what do you guys think?

INSIDER 04-29-2013 09:33 AM

I wanted to post my opinion seperate from the initial post so as to not create any bias, but this is one time i agree with Don Cherry.
this is a man's dressing room, where men are showering, naked, dressing.
would it be ok for a male reporter to be in the woman's locker room? they would never let that happen. so why is it ok for a woman to be in a men's locker room?

jeffb 04-29-2013 09:45 AM

Wasn't this an issue 20yrs ago?

And isn't the media held out of the dressing room until the players are dressed. I don't see what the big deal is. I think grapes needs to retire.

INSIDER 04-29-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 784897)
Wasn't this an issue 20yrs ago?

And isn't the media held out of the dressing room until the players are dressed. I don't see what the big deal is. I think grapes needs to retire.

this was an issue over the weekend as a female reporter was in the blackhawks change room after their game.

jeffb 04-29-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 784903)
this was an issue over the weekend as a female reporter was in the blackhawks change room after their game.

And? That was a big thing?

Superjudge 04-29-2013 10:22 AM

Well you knew this was gonna draw fire. But, he's right and here's why. Men will never be allowed in women's dressing rooms. There is a reason for it, it's private. People are naked, and getting g treatment etc. Of course there are designated shower areas, but that's ridiculous as people will always stray from those.

There is a team comradery that I believe is real, and should be both protected and preserved for all teams, mens or women's. Why do the press even need to be in the room at all???? They don't need to be. They have a press conference after every game, there is more than enough time to get what they need there. The solution is simple, no press in the dressing rooms, period, problem solved.
:kadri:

Shadowfax 04-29-2013 10:26 AM

Don Cherry is an idiot who is stuck in the 1970's...nothing more than a parody of himself these days...imho, 90% of what he says about hockey is completely irrelevant
that being said...there IS a simple solution...NO reporters in the dressing room...set up a post game room for interviews

jeffb 04-29-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowfax (Post 784907)
Don Cherry is an idiot who is stuck in the 1970's...nothing more than a parody of himself these days...imho, 90% of what he says about hockey is completely irrelevant
that being said...there IS a simple solution...NO reporters in the dressing room...set up a post game room for interviews


This I can agreee with.

INSIDER 04-29-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 784904)
And? That was a big thing?

please do not reply in this thread anymore.

jeffb 04-29-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 784909)
please do not reply in this thread anymore.


Why? I'm asking you what happened that made it such a big deal. Is it that hard? What made this an issue in Chicago?

'trane 04-29-2013 10:37 AM

don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.

'trane 04-29-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 784906)
Well you knew this was gonna draw fire. But, he's right and here's why. ...

The solution is simple, no press in the dressing rooms, period, problem solved.
:kadri:

that's not what he was saying. and he's definitely not right.

jeffb 04-29-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 784912)
don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.

Agreed, but this isn't surprising coming from him. What was McClean's response, he's level headed.

INSIDER 04-29-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 784912)
don cherry is a dinosaur, and he is so far off base with this that i don't even know what to say. he doesn't think men and women and equal, but rather that women are superior and should be put on a pedestal and protected from terrible men who might show them their nakedness! my oh my, how awfully paternalistic. what a tremendous douche.

so you believe women should be allowed in the men's change room after a game?
which means its ok for a man to be in a woman's change room? i'd like to see that ever happen.

Superjudge 04-29-2013 10:44 AM

Don Cherry, amid all the white noise of his old school BS, is still the only guy on TV who consistently seems to come up with the right answers on a shit load of topics. We love to hate him, he is xenophobic we say, he is racist, he is sexist. And if we say all these things, we are right.

People hate his constant yapping about the troops and his out dated ideologies and I can't say I disagree. Thanks however does not change two things. First, he is as old as fuck, he lived in those old eras, he played when the sport was being built, and saw a world war. Like it or not, guys like him fought in those wars, guys like that built our nation. So it's there that I ask people to give a guy a bit of room. There is always a perfectly PC ron maclean there to protect us. Second, he knows more about this game and how it works than 80 percent of the monkeys on TV. People don't like the delivery, but on many occasions he is bang on. From fighting, to concussions, to injuries and the way the game is officiated, he consistently, after the dust settles, is the guy you can look back and say "shit, i guess cherry was right".

I don't really like the man. But i respect where he comes from, I recognise his level of Hockey knowledge, and I know he will be missed when he is gone.

'trane 04-29-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INSIDER (Post 784916)
so you believe women should be allowed in the men's change room after a game?
which means its ok for a man to be in a woman's change room? i'd like to see that ever happen.

i don't think any press should be in the locker room. but the issue is bigger than that. this is not about gender. what about strongly religious people? gay men? gay women? what about children of the athletes? why is anyone in the locker room who is not oart of the team?

as i said, it's so hopelessly paternalistic. the idea that these gentle flowers called women must be protected makes me sick to my stomach. they are grownups. they can deal with it, and so can the men. people need to be way less puritanical about this stuff.

this isn't about gender. slicing and dicing access based on cocks or cunts is just so silly. give access or don't.

'trane 04-29-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 784917)
Don Cherry, amid all the white noise of his old school BS, is still the only guy on TV who consistently seems to come up with the right answers on a shit load of topics. We love to hate him, he is xenophobic we say, he is racist, he is sexist. And if we say all these things, we are right.

People hate his constant yapping about the troops and his out dated ideologies and I can't say I disagree. Thanks however does not change two things. First, he is as old as fuck, he lived in those old eras, he played when the sport was being built, and saw a world war. Like it or not, guys like him fought in those wars, guys like that built our nation. So it's there that I ask people to give a guy a bit of room. There is always a perfectly PC ron maclean there to protect us. Second, he knows more about this game and how it works than 80 percent of the monkeys on TV. People don't like the delivery, but on many occasions he is bang on. From fighting, to concussions, to injuries and the way the game is officiated, he consistently, after the dust settles, is the guy you can look back and say "shit, i guess cherry was right".

I don't really like the man. But i respect where he comes from, I recognise his level of Hockey knowledge, and I know he will be missed when he is gone.

if he stuck to hockey, i'd have no problem with him. but he uses coach's corner as a pulpit, and it makes me sick.

Superjudge 04-29-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 784914)
that's not what he was saying. and he's definitely not right.

I don't need you to tell me what was said, or if it was right. I know what he said, and the part about women in dressing rooms was right. If you cannot strip the other crap away, thats your thing, we both know you love that he mad ethereal outrageous pedestal comments, it allows you to get on your box and level him with your elite morality, as if that's even remotely difficult to do. So relax your engines, this isn't what Insiders thread asked. It asks, if after that event happened, if we agree about women in dressing rooms.

You think its ok, fine, Kadri is Muslim, maybe he disagrees. Men won't ever enter women's rooms, so really, removing the debate is simple, and the way to go.

So, are you really contribution g to the discussion, or are you just here to stomp on Don Cherry. I'd respect it more if you'd just admit what it is, because you might find little resistance.

bjjs 04-29-2013 10:57 AM

FYI - Male Reporters are allowed into the dressing rooms after WNBA games (the only female league that gets any significant media attention in North America) - so I've been led to believe by somebody writing in the Globe & Mail.

Superjudge 04-29-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'trane (Post 784921)
if he stuck to hockey, i'd have no problem with him. but he uses coach's corner as a pulpit, and it makes me sick.

Fair. But we're discussing reporters in dressing rooms man. I don't disagree, i only just understand why he is the way he is, and why that likely won't change. I promise. I hear what you're saying, he isn't a good guy in many ways.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24