Bicycles
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
tired of shitty Toronto teams

Senior Member
 
Yuksek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 571
Representing:
Default Bicycles

I live in Toronto (Big shock, I know). I'm kind of tired of the bicyclists. They never follow the light signals or keep to their lanes. Today I saw a lady with her small child in the back of a buggy get out of her bike lane into the car lane and try to overtake the bike in front of her. She did not use a hand signal or check to see if a car was there. Also I've almost been hit by bicyclists while crossing a road in my right of way because they don't stop at red lights.

I think that to ride a bicycle on the street in Toronto you should have a license. It'll improve the quality of bicyclists and give more funds for the enforcement of bike laws. What do you think? Currently, there seem to be no regulations for bike safety. No limit on passengers, helmets, no limit on what's being hauled or not.
Yuksek is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,304
Representing:
Default

there are lots of regulations, people just don't follow them.

and as for a license, what do you do about kids?

motorists and cyclists both need to learn how to share the road, and toronto needs a much more robust cycling infrastructure, especially regarding bike lanes and improved signals. bikes are the way forward for downtown commuting in our city.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
tired of shitty Toronto teams

Senior Member
 
Yuksek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 571
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
there are lots of regulations, people just don't follow them.

and as for a license, what do you do about kids?

motorists and cyclists both need to learn how to share the road, and toronto needs a much more robust cycling infrastructure, especially regarding bike lanes and improved signals. bikes are the way forward for downtown commuting in our city.
The regulations I figured existed, but weren't enforced. Don't you think they should be enforced more regularly?

I never see kids on the street biking (but that's just me). I mostly see adults. I think kids should be restricted for their biking to trails if it results them entering car lanes. And there other types of licenses which you can get as a "kid". Snowmobiles, Gliding, etc can all be ascertained before the the age of 16.

I agree with your last paragraph completely. Bikes are the way forward for downtown commuting in our city.
Yuksek is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,540
Representing:
Default

I bike A LOT around the city and other cyclists piss me off.

Mind you so do car drivers.

I'm the type of cyclist that always follows traffic lights and the same rules as car drivers, mostly only overtake other cyclists at a red light and i always use hand signs to turn (always wear a helmet too not that it's related to this).

What it boils down to as far as i'm concerned is people just need to be more safe and more aware of their surroundings. Everyone. drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. People need to stop worrying about getting somewhere 5 minutes faster.

kinda off topic, but you know who makes roads much more dangerous? Those people who feel the need to constantly change lanes and overtake what they perceive are slower cars / bikes etc. That type of shit doesn't end up saving time, but just causes unsafe situations. Fucking annoying.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,304
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuksek View Post
The regulations I figured existed, but weren't enforced. Don't you think they should be enforced more regularly?

I never see kids on the street biking (but that's just me). I mostly see adults. I think kids should be restricted for their biking to trails if it results them entering car lanes. And there other types of licenses which you can get as a "kid". Snowmobiles, Gliding, etc can all be ascertained before the the age of 16.

I agree with your last paragraph completely. Bikes are the way forward for downtown commuting in our city.
yes they should be enforced.

kids ride bikes to school. i grew up riding a bike every day, and in my neighbourhood you see kids on bikes everywhere. i think it would be very restrictive to kids and to families to suddenly remove kids' right to ride bikes in the city.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

ban cyciling in the city, everyone should be forced to roller blade. If people want to cycle hit the highways. The fucking streets are for automobiles and are dangerous enough with all the dipshit drivers

Roller blades = extreme speed + side walk convenience+ all the chicks
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,540
Representing:
Default

oh and no way to a bicycle lisence system. Totally unnessesary. It would be the biggest cash grab of all time. Actually I could see the govt. doing it.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
tired of shitty Toronto teams

Senior Member
 
Yuksek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 571
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I bike A LOT around the city and other cyclists piss me off.

Mind you so do car drivers.

I'm the type of cyclist that always follows traffic lights and the same rules as car drivers, mostly only overtake other cyclists at a red light and i always use hand signs to turn (always wear a helmet too not that it's related to this).

What it boils down to as far as i'm concerned is people just need to be more safe and more aware of their surroundings. Everyone. drivers, cyclists, pedestrians. People need to stop worrying about getting somewhere 5 minutes faster.


kinda off topic, but you know who makes roads much more dangerous? Those people who feel the need to constantly change lanes and overtake what they perceive are slower cars / bikes etc. That type of shit doesn't end up saving time, but just causes unsafe situations. Fucking annoying.
They waste gas and get stuck at the next red light anyway. My father drives like that. He's been in nearly 7 car accidents and still doesn't learn. He also gets ticketed once a year for reckless driving. People don't learn.
Yuksek is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

I'd love to ride a bike around Toronto in lieu of TTC, but I'm honestly scared of it.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

I am scared also. I used to bike everywhere as a kid and a teen but somehow, I've managed to scare myself enough that I just don't do it anymore. I guess I don't trust drivers.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,540
Representing:
Default

I rode my bike once in Mississauga (on the street) and it was the scariest shit ever.

Riding downtown with traffic is totally fine though. Much safer to be cyclist in the city than any suburban area.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,529
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I rode my bike once in Mississauga (on the street) and it was the scariest shit ever.

Riding downtown with traffic is totally fine though. Much safer to be cyclist in the city than any suburban area.
i'm in oakville. when i was in high school i took a bike every day. it's funny though, i would never even think about riding my bike downtown with all that traffic.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,540
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
i'm in oakville. when i was in high school i took a bike every day. it's funny though, i would never even think about riding my bike downtown with all that traffic.
thing is that traffic generally goes 40-50 k depending what streets you take. you also have tons of streets that you can take to get a destination (becuase the blocks are more concentrated) - so you can use less busy roads. And lastly the traffic light activity downtown is a lot more stop and go so that also makes for safer riding.

My mississauga experience was literally insane. Cars regularilly going 80 k/hr past me. Drivers just not used to cyclists in the subburbs / don't want the inconvenience of sharing the road. In general people drive like shit in the suburbs and i don't think i'm alone in thinking that.

Not sure about places like Oakville or St Catherines. I'm only speaking from my experience.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,304
Representing:
Default

st catherines is fucked purely because acie is on the road and he's probably loaded or eating chicken wings while driving. even at 10:00am...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Canada b-ball, 2020 Olympic Gold Medalists

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,595
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
ban cyciling in the city, everyone should be forced to roller blade. If people want to cycle hit the highways. The fucking streets are for automobiles and are dangerous enough with all the dipshit drivers

Roller blades = extreme speed + side walk convenience+ all the chicks
Run for Mayor.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,009
Representing:
Default

I am an avid driver and I bike regularly but in no way would I cycle on Toronto streets. Motorists are totally crazy running Reds, using thru ways as highways and just plain dumb.

Cyclists who don't follow the road and curb from sidewalk to street whenever convienent piss me off as well. What really pisses me off about cyclists is whenver something isn't in their rules they think they have the right to spout out at me (well those who do shout at me anyways). Take it easy guys and leave the road rage at the door.

Lastly, I frequently drive on Jarvis street (front Mt. Pleasant all the way to Queens Quay) and since they instituted the bike lanes (been about a week and a half) I counted about 10 bikers on it with about 3 of them were riding the sidewalk.

Thank you Toronto for getting rid of the Jarvis middle lane. Those 10 bikers love it. You know the 10 bikers that dont' even pay the sticker to support making the new lines for it.

What a joke
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,304
Representing:
Default

wait a minute - they ditched the middle lane on jarvis? really? is it a congestion nightmare now?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,009
Representing:
Default

Trane if your northbound on it at like 6pm get a novel ready
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
on the outside, looking in.

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,304
Representing:
Default

fuck me. i have an office at carlton and another at lawrence and allen, so i use jarvis all the time for that. time to plan a new route...
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,009
Representing:
Default

Well if you head there between 10am and 3pm or so its almost the same. Just have to anticipate the guys making left turns and pulling over to the said more so. Oh and lastly no parking allowed on Jarvis anymore.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24