Bag Ban in Hogtown
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default Bag Ban in Hogtown

Toronto News: Mayor Rob Ford asks council to scrap plastic bag fee; council instead scraps plastic bags - thestar.com

DUMB.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

I'm gonna start carrying around a burlap sac... just in case.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

I'm going to do the basket on the head like in Africa.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,546
Representing:
Default

not dumb
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
not dumb
Personally I got used to bringing my own bags to the grocery store. However; their should be an option to at least give me something to carry my groceries if I forget my bags
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,546
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Personally I got used to bringing my own bags to the grocery store. However; their should be an option to at least give me something to carry my groceries if I forget my bags
paper bags
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Personally I got used to bringing my own bags to the grocery store. However; their should be an option to at least give me something to carry my groceries if I forget my bags
use the bags from the produce section, they're free!
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,528
Representing:
Default

This is great. It's such a shame they wasted a year pretending Rob Ford was the Mayor.

I imagine paper bags will be available for purchase.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Try carrying more than 2 paper bags full of groceries on a walk of more than a few feet. What will happen is people will buy boxes of plastic bags - for groceries, kitty litter, dog crap - and we're right back where we started.

I refuse to use reusable bags because they're disgusting. The bag fee in St.Catharines magically disappeared after a few months.

"Do you need bags?"

"Yes, thanks!"

"Here you go!"

Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,040
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Personally I got used to bringing my own bags to the grocery store. However; their should be an option to at least give me something to carry my groceries if I forget my bags
The Superstore I go to recently had a 'spend $150 get 3 PC bins free' promotion.

Bins have changed my grocery shopping life. It's so much easier to stack groceries into bins then bags, and they're harder to forget then bags. The ones they have now have straps

bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Try carrying more than 2 paper bags full of groceries on a walk of more than a few feet. What will happen is people will buy boxes of plastic bags - for groceries, kitty litter, dog crap - and we're right back where we started.

I refuse to use reusable bags because they're disgusting. The bag fee in St.Catharines magically disappeared after a few months.

"Do you need bags?"

"Yes, thanks!"

"Here you go!"

Ya Longos outside the city never bothered with the 5 cent bag. You get a good quality bag that you can reuse for your kitchen garbage or does city council want us to carry trash to our waste bin


I dunno who is dumber the city council or the mayor himself.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,784
Representing:
Default

I've got 3 of these from Longo's and i'm good! Love them...

jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Ya Longos outside the city never bothered with the 5 cent bag. You get a good quality bag that you can reuse for your kitchen garbage or does city council want us to carry trash to our waste bin


I dunno who is dumber the city council or the mayor himself.
you should be composting as well
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,040
Representing:
Default

Three bins is good for $150-$200 in groceries and it's so easy to organize.

I throw all three bins on the checkout counter - produce in one - grocery in another - meat and bread in another.

Bins make checking out more enjoyable, as well as putting groceries away.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

there's also the added benefit of your groceries not falling out of the weak plastic bag
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,528
Representing:
Default

Reusable bags are disgusting?

The mass of plastic that is covering the earth is what I consider disgusting. There was a time I can recall when there were no plastic bags. It wasn't a great burden in any way.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Three bins is good for $150-$200 in groceries and it's so easy to organize.

I throw all three bins on the checkout counter - produce in one - grocery in another - meat and bread in another.

Bins make checking out more enjoyable, as well as putting groceries away.
We spend 200 bucks a week on groceries and we'd probably need 5 or 6 bins instead of the 8 or 9 bags we use. I'd find them gross to begin with and they'd take up more than a trunk's worth of space.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,040
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
We spend 200 bucks a week on groceries and we'd probably need 5 or 6 bins instead of the 8 or 9 bags we use. I'd find them gross to begin with and they'd take up more than a trunk's worth of space.
Don't knock it until you try it. You would probably take 4 bins max. I never thought about using bins until they were given to me - life changing event.

You set a bag down in your trunk it sinks and changes shape, then you're putting other bags slightly on top of that bag, and everything shifts when you drive.

Doesn't happen with bins.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Don't knock it until you try it. You would probably take 4 bins max I never thought about using bins until they were given to me - life changing event.

You set a bag down in your trunk it sinks and changes shape, then you're putting other bags slightly on top of that bag, and everything shifts when you drive.

Doesn't happen with bins.
I'm an expert bag layer.

I'm only knocking the fact they'd get gross and simply stating that I know we wouldn't have the room.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Reusable bags are disgusting?

The mass of plastic that is covering the earth is what I consider disgusting. There was a time I can recall when there were no plastic bags. It wasn't a great burden in any way.
Hysterics.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24