Bag Ban in Hogtown - Page 2
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,102
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
I'm an expert bag layer.

I'm only knocking the fact they'd get gross and simply stating that I know we wouldn't have the room.
How do they get gross? Wrap all your produce in plastic produce bags before you put them in the bin, and put your meat in plastic produce bags in case they leak out of their original packaging.

They don't get gross.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,563
Representing:
Default

these are the days of miracle and wonder...
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

the thing i find is that even though i don't get plastic bags from the stores all that often (i usually bring 2 big bags with me when i do groceries, but occasionally i buy 1 plastic bag or whatever), i still have a massive collection of plastic bags in one of my kitchen drawers. it's huge. Full of bags bursting to get out. And like i said, i for the most part only use my reusable shopping bags.

It makes me think how much bags people used to have back when they were free at the stores. Totally unnessesary.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,693
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Hysterics.
Back at ya. You do realize the plastic doesn't break down right? We just keep adding more and more. I was in India shortly after they introduced plastic bags. It wasn't pretty. Ecological degradation is a real cost of the tiny conveniences plastics allow for. It's just not worth it.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,693
Representing:
Default

Werner Herzog can't be accused of being hysterical - can he?

Upwards to 1 trillion plastic bags per year. A trillion. With nowhere to go.

LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,693
Representing:
Default

LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,693
Representing:
Default

LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Plastic bags account for a tiny percent of waste, litter and impact on the environment. I'm going to assume that the same people who yammer on about them enjoy a bottle of wine or two a week, which is a hell of a lot of manufacture, transport and pollution (initial and in reuse) for what amounts to 4 glasses of wine. There are alternatives, but they'd never choose one. Or Chinese-produced mobile devices (manufacture, transport, pollution). Most of the time, it's not a necessity, but a convenience. Driving a car, water from plastic bottles. And paper bags are hardly an environmentally sound alternative. It sounds better though and looks better next to silly videos about talking plastic bags. So instead of looking at your whole life and cutting out the useless crap, you pick a couple things that you've found you can live without and then you support a misguided ban on their use which was hardly discussed or debated?

"Why do we need them anyway?"

You could say that about a lot of stuff.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
And this. Again, let's pile up all the discarded mobile devices. You could do this visually with anything. I believe this was a garbage strike of some sort but no, garbage is taking over the world! It's alive!
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,563
Representing:
Default

the fact that something else is wasteful doesn't mean that it's ok for everything to be wasteful. we have other perfectly suitable options. this is a hardship on no one.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
The Superstore I go to recently had a 'spend $150 get 3 PC bins free' promotion.

Bins have changed my grocery shopping life. It's so much easier to stack groceries into bins then bags, and they're harder to forget then bags. The ones they have now have straps

I've never seen these. Hmm. How big are they?

I bring the canvas bags with me when I shop, but sometimes I need to buy an extra bag. And sometime I don't plan to go to the store, but end up there. My issue is that I walk everywhere when I shop, so it's gonna be tough shit for me when I don't have any of the canvas bags with me.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
And this. Again, let's pile up all the discarded mobile devices. You could do this visually with anything. I believe this was a garbage strike of some sort but no, garbage is taking over the world! It's alive!
Its actually the garbage capital of the world Napoli. Garbage in Italy is so bad. They recently had a contract with Holland to dump their garbage and their Gov't said "start recycling we don't want your crap". The gov't hid garbage in the worst places causing illness to goat ranches and even their own food supply.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,693
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Plastic bags account for a tiny percent of waste, litter and impact on the environment. I'm going to assume that the same people who yammer on about them enjoy a bottle of wine or two a week, which is a hell of a lot of manufacture, transport and pollution (initial and in reuse) for what amounts to 4 glasses of wine. There are alternatives, but they'd never choose one. Or Chinese-produced mobile devices (manufacture, transport, pollution). Most of the time, it's not a necessity, but a convenience. Driving a car, water from plastic bottles. And paper bags are hardly an environmentally sound alternative. It sounds better though and looks better next to silly videos about talking plastic bags. So instead of looking at your whole life and cutting out the useless crap, you pick a couple things that you've found you can live without and then you support a misguided ban on their use which was hardly discussed or debated?

"Why do we need them anyway?"

You could say that about a lot of stuff.
Are you assuming things about me, because they would be wrong. I agree that there is plenty of unnecessary waste, and though I'm not at all perfect in that sense, I try to be very conscientious. I'd be more than happy to see this ban as the first of many necessary steps. There are some things that are just so plainly and painfully obvious, and have been for decades, that to not take that step would just be continuing on with what is "ludicrous". Of course we should all look at every aspect of our lives and consider the real costs overall, but for real change to take place we have to take some real steps together as a whole. Taking tons of plastic that serves no needed purpose out of the waste stream is just something that clearly has needed to be done collectively for far too long. If we can't manage to do that, then we are completely fucked. Maybe that's your point - we're fucked regardless so let's just trash the place good while we can. I fail to see the point in that point.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Is playing the dude disguised as another dude

Senior Member
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 5th Dimension
Posts: 9,847
Representing:
Default

Shadowfax is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,102
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
I've never seen these. Hmm. How big are they?

I bring the canvas bags with me when I shop, but sometimes I need to buy an extra bag. And sometime I don't plan to go to the store, but end up there. My issue is that I walk everywhere when I shop, so it's gonna be tough shit for me when I don't have any of the canvas bags with me.
They're not that big - but if I was walking I would choose reusable bags.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
is full of beans

Senior Member
 
Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 3,850
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aar_Canada View Post
Plastic bags account for a tiny percent of waste, litter and impact on the environment. I'm going to assume that the same people who yammer on about them enjoy a bottle of wine or two a week, which is a hell of a lot of manufacture, transport and pollution (initial and in reuse) for what amounts to 4 glasses of wine. There are alternatives, but they'd never choose one. Or Chinese-produced mobile devices (manufacture, transport, pollution). Most of the time, it's not a necessity, but a convenience. Driving a car, water from plastic bottles. And paper bags are hardly an environmentally sound alternative. It sounds better though and looks better next to silly videos about talking plastic bags. So instead of looking at your whole life and cutting out the useless crap, you pick a couple things that you've found you can live without and then you support a misguided ban on their use which was hardly discussed or debated?

"Why do we need them anyway?"

You could say that about a lot of stuff.

I'm guessing the people that support this already use reusable bags to haul groceries, and have already thought about other ways to reduce the garbage they create, bike to work, buy local food, etc... A ban on plastics bags isn't going to affect them.

There's 7 billion of us dumb monkeys on the earth all wanting to drive a BMW, and figuring that the little we contribute to environment degradation doesn't really matter.

People who get upset about something like this make me chuckle.
Beans is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #39 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Captain Ding Dong
 
Aar_Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St.Catharines
Posts: 4,924
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Are you assuming things about me, because they would be wrong. I agree that there is plenty of unnecessary waste, and though I'm not at all perfect in that sense, I try to be very conscientious. I'd be more than happy to see this ban as the first of many necessary steps. There are some things that are just so plainly and painfully obvious, and have been for decades, that to not take that step would just be continuing on with what is "ludicrous". Of course we should all look at every aspect of our lives and consider the real costs overall, but for real change to take place we have to take some real steps together as a whole. Taking tons of plastic that serves no needed purpose out of the waste stream is just something that clearly has needed to be done collectively for far too long. If we can't manage to do that, then we are completely fucked. Maybe that's your point - we're fucked regardless so let's just trash the place good while we can. I fail to see the point in that point.
Not about you, no.

And that's not my point. Look, I think bottled water is asinine and needless. I don't purchase it or consume it. I don't understand why people feel the need to travel with water and constantly be consuming it like they're in the desert or something. I think it's terribly wasteful from a manufacture and transport point of view. Now, I'd never try to push for a ban on its use, but that's what's happening here. "I don't use them, I don't see the point, so no one should be able to use them." Meanwhile, they're doing/consuming a bunch of things which are far more unsound than plastic bags. I'm convinced that it's small changes in behaviour, slowly over time, which are going to change the wastefulness of our society. The problem is manufacture, transport and over-consumption. Not landfills, not plastic bags.
Aar_Canada is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
having sexual relations with that woman

Senior Member
 
LilRomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 637
Representing:
Default

Just use those carton boxes at No Frills. They're free!
LilRomeo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24