Originally Posted by LX
The league absolutely has to do something about raising the overall competency levels of the refs. It's not just effecting the Raptors. You watch games and bad calls just consistently throw everything into question.
I agree. I don't remember the last two-three years being anywhere near as bad as this past season. I've started to notice how refs try to even out fouls between teams or keep the spread close by killing momentum for the team that is up. I would kill to see some consistency between two halves of one playoff game, let alone a whole series, or for most of the regular season.
In particular I've noticed:
- A huge increase in refs calling the ball out of bounds on plays where there was clearly contact one way or the other and several people fall down or out of bounds themselves.
- Far more away-from-the-ball fouls than I've ever seen before (and I don't mean moving screens, just jostling for position or guys coming off secondary screens), that in any other season would by a play-on. --> These are also the kinds of calls I most often see as 'make-up' calls
- More techs this year than ever before. (and not just because of the delay of game crap, which I acknowledge is crap)
- They've called pivot-foot drags far more than in other seasons, yet Harden, Pierce and others still take two euro-steps frequently.
- Whistles well after the foul/play are becoming commonplace, and especially so with And-1s. (I actually think yelling And-1 should become a tech-worthy offense because I'm sick of hearing it all the time, I'm sure the refs are too, and I do think after a while it starts affecting the refs performance)
- But worst of all is how fucking ticky-tack half the fouls called now, are, and that whistles have appeared just as prominent during the playoffs as they have been during the season, which should not be the case.