Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - My thoughts: 2013/2014 regular season awards
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ball Don't Lie
We going to the 'ship!

Representing:

MVP: Kevin Durant
ROY: MCW
DPOY: Joakim Noah
MIP: Gerald Green
6MOTY: Markieff Morris
Coach: Jeff Hornacek

MVP- Kevin Durant is the clear choice. His game evolved again this year, and he was spectacular when OKC needed him to step up the most without Westbrook.

ROY- I like Oladipos game more than MCW, but MCW got more minutes and opportunity, and thus his production was better. I have no doubts though that Oladipo will be the better player in the future, and if he received the same minutes and usage he would have outproduced MCW.

DPOY- Noah is the clear choice here. CHI is an awesome defensive team, and Noah really played at a different level since the Deng trade, leading CHI to the 4 seed.

MIP- This should be an award for players who have been in a league at least 4 years who have really stepped up their production from the previous year to now. I think guys like Lowry and Dragic were this good for the past few years but never got a clear opportunity to be primary guys, and thus in being given that role this year by their teams, they excelled. Whereas guys like Stephenson and Green really improved their overall floorgame and forced their coaches to use them more in the offence and they've taken off with their opportunities. Green especially was so erratic, and his defence and effort was deplorable in the past, and he's had the biggest jump IMO, since he went from a guy who doesnt and shouldnt play, to one of the better shooting guards in the NBA. His consistency in his role has been awesome.

6th man- I think the choices come down to 3 guys, Markieff Morris, Jamal Crawford, and Taj Gibson. Since Jamal had so many starts with JJ out, it juiced his numbers a bit, so that's why I didn't choose him. It was a difficult choice between Morris and Gibson as they have similar production, but I chose Morris because he played a bigger role IMO in the Suns success when they really got into the thick of things in the race for the 8th seed, and was playing 30+ mpg with big production. Taj is a close second, but his production wasn't as consistent.

Coach- As others have pointed out, Pop could and should win it every year, but that won't be the case unfortunately despite Pop being head and shoulders above everyone. Hornacek is my pick because he really geared his system on both sides of the ball to the talent and skills at his disposal, and really got the most out of his teams talent.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote