Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - What They're Saying: 2013-2014 Edition
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #522 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
BC is a good trader, drafter and might be ok with signings, but in this market signing higher end players is very difficult and overpaying for FA's is bound to happen. The trickiest part of being a GM for this team will always be signing FA's, it'll be interesting when MU decides to go after a bigger name FA. I think he knows this and is going to continue to try and stockpile you talent/picks to eventually make big trades because he knows signing big name players here is next to impossible.
if we're going to overpay for FAs, we'll end up in the same spot. Period. Masai has to find ways to avoid that, because the CBA is even more unforgiving now.

I disagree this is a Toronto's problem. I'll be the first one to agree that getting the top tier free agents to come here is impossible, but anybody else is fair game. Sure, there will be the odd redneck who thinks the metric system is a tragedy and that we drive on the wrong side of the road and use monopoly money, but by and large, most players will come here gladly.

the true problem is that in free agency ALL teams overpay, unless they get max level guys who are really, really good (and thus worth more than max). It's the nature of a free market, in any kind of seller market, you will end up overpaying. Most of the time, and that's the key - getting a deal is difficult, but possible (see the 8M deal milsap got).
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote