Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - ESPN: should Raptors trade Lowry?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint

Representing:
Default ESPN: should Raptors trade Lowry?

NBA - 5-on-5: Trade deadline moves? - ESPN

Quote:
Fact or Fiction: The Raptors should move Lowry before the deadline.

Adande: Fiction. Kyle Lowry's impending free agency diminishes his trade value ... and actually increases the consolation if the Raptors don't trade him. If there isn't a player on an absolute bargain of a contract coming back in a trade, might as well let Lowry walk and take $6.5 million off the payroll with him. Or the Raptors could use their Bird rights to re-sign a borderline All-Star.

Elhassan: Fiction. Somewhat related to the argument I made in my column about Boston keeping Rondo, finding good two-way point guards is increasingly difficult in this age of tremendous talent at that position. Lowry can be prickly, but he is productive, an intense competitor and only 27, and there's no guarantee Toronto can find even an adequate replacement to build around moving forward.

Feldman: Fiction. I understand Masai Ujiri's fear of having to re-sign Lowry to a big contract this summer, and now would definitely be a chance to sell high. But the Raptors, who have missed the NBA's past five postseasons, are the NBA's feel-good story. Ride out this season's eclectic roster and enjoy it.

Strauss: Fiction. It's too late for Toronto to tank its way to a 2014 lottery pick, so the Raps might as well compete. Historically bad franchises generally shouldn't trade their best player if the playoffs are in sight.

Sunnergren: Fiction. This is a strange situation. Lowry has been the best point guard -- maybe the best guard -- in the East this season, but the trade market for him seems tepid. Couple this with the fact that, at 26-22, Toronto already has done too much winning to make a run at lottery balls, and it looks as though the smartest play for Ujiri is to hang on to his catalyst.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote