Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - All star reserves announced - DD in/Lowry out
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #203 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Well, got to judge a player based on what you see in games, not what everyone says. In actual games, on box outs or post ups, he gets pushed around by the likes of Donatas Motiejunas. Someone a bit stronger, like Tiago Splitter or Greg Monroe, moves him with ease. Help defense, he's often simply confused and indecisive of where to go. Or to the opposite, he over-commits, doubles and hard hedges a Terrence Jones to the rim, looking for a block, while a Dwight Howard stands completely open under the rim. He makes lots of mistakes in each game.

He's still a solid defender because of his shot blocking, effort, body control and lateral quickness. It lets him mitigate that lack of strength and lack of understanding. Eventually, he will get much stronger and smarter and I suspect he'll win a few DPOYs. But right now he's a mixed bag.

Shotblockers in general get overrated early. It's how Manute Bol became all-defense, or how Ibaka became all-defense way sooner than he should have. But defense is much more than just blocks, quickness and effort. As a man defender, Davis lacks strength in many matchups, and as a help defender he's a roller coaster. Overall, still pretty good. But to call him elite would be tough. Noah is elite, or Taj Gibson, people who know their role to perfection and perform it very well. Davis is a super defensive talent who's already pretty good. And one day he'll probably be like Paul George of the PF position, someone who's not only physically gifted and plays with high effort, but who's also an incredibly smart help defender and plays great individual defense vs. very diverse types of players. A full package. Right now I don't see that in games yet, though.
This,
that is exactly why I think Drummond is very overrated defensively. People see the blocks, and say that he is a good defender.. He is not. I'm sure he will be one day, but lets not jump the gun.
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote