Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Best Shows on TV?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #3334 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

The leads in True Detective are masterful in their portrayals. And the format with the older versions of the characters narrating the plot through interviews is nice. But the plot seems to be one huge dark pit. Or a black hole perhaps. It sucks the life out of everything. I'm becoming less and less interested in these characters, and not really grasping how they are facing the conflict at hand as there is not any underlying motivation for either of them to pursuit the case with any kind of intensity.

The creator of this show did the US version of Forbrydelsen. This seems like another piggybacking on that series, along with a couple of British attempts. But none of them retain the depth of the humanity in the original. This might turn around for me, but the last episode was tedious and trying so hard to match up some substance to go with the style, and the overall dark tone feels fetishistic. I just can't connect in anyway close to how i did with Forbrydelsen. So far it seems to be about the futility of making connections or even attempting to. Maybe there's some deep meaning in it, but it's far too much like my worst masturbatory writings as a teenager, squeezed into a very good narrative form depicted with excellent visual sensibilities.

A little lightness, levity, and likeable human interaction would feel like a cold glass of water in the middle of the sahara right now. And this story seems to shut all that out as an aesthetic principle. If there was something of substance to have made me thirsty in the first place it could maybe work all the same. Instead i find an engaging couple of actors in an engaging narrative form, with nothing more than the initial sense of being engaged able to carry me anywhere.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote