Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Vince Carter....HOFer!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #190 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuCa00795 View Post
I agree 100%.

Not only did this guy play his heart out while he was here (maybe lost some ambition near the end), he put Toronto on the map.
yes, he put toronto on the basketball map. he was incredible, and we repaid him with fame, fortune and hero status. but he didn't come close to playing his heart out here and that's the nut of the whole frustration around the guy. he was an otherworldly talent with ho intensity. he could rev it up when he had it going, for sure. but mostly he coasted, and in the end he flat out didn't try. to say that he lost some ambition is a considerable understatement. it was some of the laziest, pouty basketball i have ever seen from a professional. honestly, it was a joke. and the result of that nonsense, his value plummeted, the franchise got nothing out of him despite having him under contract (and this was also due to incompetent executive decision-making), and we hit the long-term shitter. no, it wasn't entirely his fault. but he quit, and that is inexcusable. all he had to do was be a pro and keep the business to the back office.

as to this quote:
Quote:
He says he basically used his talent, didn't really need to push himself, so he didn't.
yes, yes he did need to push himself. he could have been transcendent. he could have dominated. he could have attracted other players to play with him (or to stay with him). he could have led the team. he had veteran teammates and coaches willing him to grow a pair and play harder. but he didn't. and when he didn't like where it was going, he bailed.

Last edited by 'trane; 01-23-2014 at 02:22 PM.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote