Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Slam online: Raptors resurgence
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #56 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Originally Posted by TurkeyPack17 View Post
I can definitely sympathize with your point of view, as I've been one of the more vocal pro-tankers on this board. I will confess that I have been pleasantly surprised by their improved play of late, but I too am having trouble not reminiscing back to the 2006-2007 season (which I repeatedly alluded to after the Rudy Gay trade) as an example of fool's gold.

The problem is this team is missing a franchise piece like a Chris Bosh (Derozan is definitely a tier below a Bosh-caliber talent). The league is also about to be injected with a TON of high-caliber young prospects. We all know Wiggins and Parker, in addition to the guys like Randle, Exam, Smart, etc. That means the bottom tier teams in both conferences will receive that infusion of talent, and league competition will increase by a significant margin. In this instance, a 50 win club one year may struggle to make the playoffs the next because they capitalized on a league (or conference) that was largely devoid of elite talent.

The Raptors don't have a top 20 player. Demar and Lowry are the closest we have to that, one of them is in their prime (19 PER and playing extremely hard in a contract year) and the other is a hard worker (Demar) who plays his butt off but is mediocre on the defensive end and inefficient on the offensive end.

This might just be the fate of the Toronto Raptors, as has been the fate of the Leafs. Teams that are never good enough to contend, and never bad enough to acquire elite talent in the right years. Life isn't fair, and sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the decent years it offers you. This is one of them, and unlike the management and ownership I'd recommend the more far-sighted Raptor fans be pragmatic about this year. Enjoy the wins, enjoy a cohesive unit, and don't forget to keep that "I told you so" in your back pocket.:mattyd:

Raps won't acquire that elusive player unless MU pulls a hat out of his ass, the raps do horribly in one of the next few seasons or one of DD, JV or TR become a top 10/15 player.

I have my doubts to this team (with the key players) getting to the ECF, finals or getting a championship some day. I think the ceiling what we may see is something similar to the Atlanta Hawks - perennially in the playoffs, doing fairly well in the division, getting 3rd to 6th place each year. 45-50ish wins a year, being a tough out in the first round to being simply outclassed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Better than what the Raps have been for their history but always there's the feeling of what could have been.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote