Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Is Vasquez this bad?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Default Is Vasquez this bad?

When Toronto acquired Greivis Vasquez as part of the Rudy Gay trade, no one expected him to be an elite PG. The most optimistic thought that given his stats form last year, he could be a cheap serviceable solution at PG when Lowry is traded. The most pessimistic thought that he could at the best be an average back up PG with a height advantage. The main reason for the lack of enthusiasm was Vasquez’s speed (or lack of it).

After 9 games, perspectives about him have change. He started playing average, had one half decent game at the beginning, and then he has consistently gone down. He has been shooting so poorly, that there has not even been much space to complain about his speed. Even worst, while in the first games it looked like Amir and Greivis could become a really deadly combination in the pick and roll, Vasquez’s assists are also down, and particularly the ones in picks and rolls are almost non-existent. A clear example of the situation is last game. A game where Toronto dominated pretty much all the way through, and that looked like the perfect opportunity for Vasquez to have some extended minutes at the end of the game, and what did he get? 15 minutes of play. The reason: well, during those 15 minutes, the Raptors lost by 8 points.

The question now is: Is Vasquez this bad? Is he going to bounce back from this slum? Is his mediocre performance affecting the likelihood that Lowry will be traded sooner rather than later? If you look at Vasquez carrier including college, I can only think of one period when his performance deteriorated this much, it happened in Memphis and the coach benched him for about a week, and then he came back and play better. The problem is that I am not sure that is an option here. I don’t see Casey benching him any time soon. So we can only wait and hope he gets his act back together soon.
Morsatun is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote