Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Revisiting Rudy's shoulder injury
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
The MVP of West Hollywood
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Representing:

It's conceivable but I see other reasons for Rudy's struggles

1. Rudy is not as talented as his reputation

Rudy has a few rare talents at SF like athleticism, size and fluidity. However like Demar I feel as a shooter and ballhandler he is not very gifted compared to NBA wings. The effect of shooting is obvious, but the ballhandling also hurts because he can't attack the basket off the dribble as consistently as you'd think with his athleticism. If he was a better shooter defenders would also guard him closer, helping him attack the basket. It's not just about athleticism but how you use it and Rudy's skill problems hurts his ability to use it.

2. Rudy's approach to the game blows

One of the problems with Rudy is he doesn't realize how flawed an offensive player his shooting and ballhandling makes him. His skillset does not justify the volume of shots he takes. Rudy's game roots from liking shooting and liking putting up points too much. Rudy ignores concepts like "If you're in the paint but 4-5 feet away and off balance, throwing up a shot is bad", in addition to the midrange shot jacking. I believe Rudy is a nice guy but just not competitive enough to change his game for the sake of winning. If Rudy was 'reaching his potential' I don't believe he'd be this fantastic offensive player. I believe he'd be more like was Artest was, a player with offensive holes but fantastic defense. If Rudy committed to taking 12-14 FGA a game he'd have way more energy for defense.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote