Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Would you Trade Valanciunas for a Top Pick in Next Year's Draft?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Top 5 is hard to say yes to. For the top pick I'd have to say yes, but the 5th is a clear no for me at this stage of the season (draft night is different, since you know who's on the board). For the range, I say no - hard to come by real two-way centers in this league. But it really is a but of a toss up - I certainly wouldn't be furious with the move.
maybe you mean potential two-way center, I'm not at all convinced JV will ever be a strong defensive presence, there's really no indication so far. If he becomes that, it will probably take a while for it to happen too.

I was always a bit intrigued why is JV considered such a strong prospect - I assumed it was because of his results in youth tournaments combined with a reputation for being a hard worker and having that "motor" scouts love so much.
He was also supposed to be skilled for his age.

I have to say, I'm not seeing any of these factors in his game, except for this performance in youth/summer tournaments. He's not a hustler like noah was for the bulls, he's not skilled like Sullinger is in Boston and if he's a hard worker, it's definitely not showing - his game is only marginally better this season compared to the last.

He doesn't have many weaknesses, so he will probably be very solid, but I'm less and less convinced JV is all star material. I really, really hope I'm wrong here, but until I see some evidence to the contrary, I'm not willing to buy into any excuses anymore. Did that with Bargnani for 7 years and I guess my tank is on empty ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key