Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Race to the Decision. Part 1
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Metallikid
threes and free throws

Representing:

I think the biggest part of 'tanking' very few people seem to consider is that we're not just going to dump anyone's salary (Masai said that himself last year) which means that we'd be receiving players, (I highly doubt we can squeeze an unprotected first from ANY team this year) some of which will have decent salaries, and that means we'll be getting some good role players at the least.

Are those players magically going to contribute nothing or play at worse than replacement level PER? I think not. And therein lies the point; trading Rudy, DeMar, Kyle, Amir or any combination thereof may result in less wins, but it won't result in no wins, and that means we'll still end up being a late lottery team at best. Personally, and I think objectively, a first-round exit is better for the team than the 10th-14th pick.

In the last year or so the treadmill has become painfully apparent as the worst place a franchise can be, but all the GMs are aware of this and that means that despite the fact that we'd be the ones shipping the more highly talented players, we'll constantly be low-balled because they know how badly we want to be bad, without looking like it, and Masai won't make a trade for the sake of making a trade... it goes against everything a GM stands for. Unfortunately Masai was dealt a very poor hand coming in and he's really in a lose-lose situation this season and for the foreseeable future.

Tanking proper is for the teams who dealt players away in the offseason, for picks and for rookie contracts, and started the season with a fresh fate to sell the city on.
Metallikid is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote