Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Is John Lucas joining Raptors Stuff?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:

Quote:
Under Lucas's tutelage, in the spartan digs of a Houston-area recreation centre, Ford endured a basketball boot camp that broke his body down to build it up.

"We did old, old, old-school stuff," said Lucas, who went on to describe the rigours of crabwalks up and down stairwells and court-length wheelbarrow races in which Ford's hands did the running.

The Raptors have been impressed enough with Lucas's work that they're contemplating hiring him in a consultant's role to continue to help Ford's transition back into the lineup.

Lucas seemed enthused by the prospect. "Any way I can help, and help T.J., I'm happy to help. ... I think Chris Bosh has MVP potential. I love to be around guys that want to be stars."

Said Ford of Lucas, with whom he works out during the off-season: "Injured or not injured, he's my guy that I put trust in to get to that next level."

On the long journey to the next level, of course, Ford had to find the will to take the first step: The one over the out-of-bounds line on to the floor.

"I pushed him to try to quit, for one reason: To see how badly he wanted to play," said Lucas. "And at the end of it all, that's what his response was, `I want to play.'"

Ford wants to play, in front of the throngs or in the backyard, for a long time to come.

"This is what I love to do. It is worth it to me. If I didn't love to do it, it would be easier to shut it down," said Ford. "Besides, if I got hurt and I retired, y'all got one more report to write about me, and then I'm done. ... Can't let y'all forget about me that easily."
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote