Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Who are the superstars?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Superstars in the making: Paul George, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Damian Lillard
Superstars in their prime: LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Carmelo Anthony, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge
Superstars past their prime: Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki, Zach Randolph, Danny Granger
Superstars near retirement: Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobili

I just decided to stop at some point so uhh, that's my opinion and the term "superstar" may be subjective to others.
If I forgot some, feel free to let me know... I guess.
I disagree with some of this.

1 - Lillard will not be a superstar. He might even have difficulty making an all-star team more than once or twice. He's a really solid player, but if he's the best on your team, you're gonna have trouble making the playoffs.

Also, it's not clear to me that Irving is a superstar in the making, since his defense is so bad right now. He's a maybe. Definite all-star team candidate, but superster? Not sure about that.

2 - Durant and Harden are already superstars. They have more value than Rondo EASILY. Harden carried a team of role players to the playoffs. That's a superstar.

3 - Rondo is not a super-star. He can be a really good complementary all-star ( a guy who can play at an all-star level in the right circumstances with the right pieces around him), but there is no reason to believe he can take over games without legit threats on his side attracting attention. He's done nothing to suggest he is that type of player. In my opinion, a superstar someone you can conceive of going into god mode with role players at his side and will a team to victory. I can see guys like Lebron, Durant, Harden, Paul, etc.. doing that. Rondo? His teams actually have better records when he is absent. He's a ball-dominant guard without the consistent scoring punch that Paul or Nash (when in his prime) could give when their teams needed quick baskets.

D-Will is a notch below, as well. An all-star, but not a superstar. He doesn't do much without talent. The Net teams that lacked talent didn't put up much of a fight, even when D-Will was healthy.

4 - Aldridge? I disagree. Close... maybe. I mean, you're saying Lillard is a superstar in the making, yet that wasn't even enough help for Aldridge to get to the playoffs. Meanwhile, Harden got there with less and you aren't giving him that same status.

5 - Granger was NEVER a superstar. Definitely not. Randolph wasn't either. He's in the solid all-star category with Aldridge, in my opinion. Same with the Gasol brothers.

6 - If Randolph, Aldridge and Granger are getting mentions, where the hell is Chris Bosh? But, really, Bosh's absence illustrates for me that the others shouldn't be on the list, not the other way around.

7 - Other thoughts:

Kevin Love might be a superstar in the making. He has that potential, even though his defense is lacking. Let's see if they make the playoffs this year.

Tony Parker is better than some of the guards mentioned. He is arguably a superstar of some sort. He was an MVP candidate last year, for several months. His prime was at least as good as Ginobili's.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote