Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Rate the latest movie you saw...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #4235 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

I watched Michael Haneke's White Ribbon. It was on tvo. It should spur me on to watch a few more of his that I've downloaded. It's set in a small town in Germany before wwI. It's a very tightly controlled environment that seems to unravel inexplicably, but the controls undoubtedly play a part in it. It's a long ass black and white movie with subtitles and a puzzle rather than a clear cut resolution at the end, so I can imagine not many will go near it. But it is masterful, and will draw you in if you put in the work. I loved how mic'd up the floor boards in the old creaky houses were, offering a sense of an impending unravelling. At one point early on there is a march to a father's study with a steady creak creak shuffle shuffle. A fetching of a switch with the same amped up sounds. Then a door closes and we see just the door in a sudden silence that is broken by the sound of the switch and the shriek following each blow. From there, beneath the surface, there is a steady hidden subverting and weakening of authority, and signs of the impacts of evil, although it's difficult to make out the ultimate source of that evil, nor the ends it aims for. It offers a lot to think about, much like cache.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote