Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors Cap/Tax Status
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #208 (permalink)
Windex
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
You have a bad memory imo. Nobody wanted him? At the time he was not bad, he was a big reason they went to the finals that summer. And we outbid Portland by 2mil over 4yrs (500k per season). In other words, we weren't bidding against ourselves and another team was willing to pay him almost as much. When you say nobody wanted him, if you mean fans you're out to lunch. If you mean other teams, same thing.
when i say no one I mean me . but i don't remember people being happy about it. Thing is he was willing to give $52 mil to a lazy player, doesn't matter if Portland wanted to give him $45 mil. He was never worth the money he was giving. If he was so important to Orlando they would've happily given him the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
there are several reasons they don't want to play here:

1) No history of winning
2) Perception of the taxes
3) Weather (although to me this one makes no sense)
4) Only non US team which doesn't get much/any exposure in US
5) Dealing with customs

I was glad when TL was hired and in one of his first interviews he stated most of these issues and essentially called them bullshit and that they need to be clear to NBA players and the league that it's bullshit. He even talked about getting players more clearance so that customs wasn't an issue.
the only legit issue would be the weather, but half the teams have to deal with that. win and people will come. each player has to pay taxes to state where they play the road game.
even if they live in a state with no income tax (Texas, Florida) they're still paying. I don't know why fans have the perception that playing in Miami means no income tax.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote