Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Dino Nation: Raptors Need To Learn To Play With A Lead
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
insight_tor
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor

Representing:

Why would Raptors needs to win by 20 or 30 points? All I want, "win by one point and run to catch the bus" (as Jack said one night).
Some nights, you can see Raptors building big leads and than giving them up. There are few explanations:
1. Raptors has a shaky depth and starters are playing huge minutes. Either the bench is not contributing either the starters gets tired.
2. Raptors style is based on making "shats" ... they sometimes fall, sometimes not. If JO and/or CB4 are out of game, we don't have any posting options.
3. PG backup position is weak ... As soon as Jose is out, the flow of game is stagnant. Backup PGs (ROko and Solomon) have too much TOs and the assists doesn't find the shooter in the best position to be ready to jack it up.
4. Psychological, when you are up you tend to relax and try to work the clock.

Anyway, I prefer to have a huge lead and than drop the lead than digging a minus 20 points hole and than fight to recover. Most of the time, the lead you have can give you the option to rest some of the big guns and put them back just before the crunch time and try to win.

Bottom line, for Raptors is important to win the games, no matter how ugly is and after that develop a way to control better the flow and intensity. Right now, Raptors is playing mostly by coincidence, applying what they learn in practice and try not to make mistakes. Once they get better applying basic skills, we hope to see Raptors dominating the game. Even so, I would like to see a moderate Raptors, pushing the tempo enough to win not to make unjustifiable efforts to win big. Save the energy for game 7, championship finals
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote