Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Rudy on his future in Toronto
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Banned

Representing:
Default Rudy on his future in Toronto

Lots of stuff about his time in Memphis, but I picked out the to the TO-related stuff.

Quote:
The NBA TV is harder to find for Rudy Gay since he came to Toronto, not to mention the SportsCenter highlights that the Baltimore native has been such a big part of since being shipped to Canada.

There's the cold, the customs, and all the adjustments of international living that stars who came before him – from Tracy McGrady to Vince Carter and Chris Bosh – learned to live with. But Gay, who was traded from Memphis on Jan. 30 and has led the Raptors to a 6-2 record, five wins in a row, since his arrival, is fitting in just fine.

"I see this (Raptors team) as another Memphis," Gay, who has hit two game-winning shots and is averaging 21.3 points per game since coming to Canada, told USA TODAY Sports by phone in a lengthy interview on Saturday. "A lot of the pieces are there."

Quote:
As for the prospect of Gay staying in Toronto for the long-term, he laughed when pressed for an answer, "I've played six games. I don't know about (re-signing), but I love the organization. I possibly could be here for the rest of my career, but who knows."

Colangelo has a realist's view of the situation.

"It's been very clear that (Gay and his representatives) want to obviously see how this plays out, to be in a situation that's competitive," Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports. "He has now tasted a winning environment with the team they'd assembled in Memphis, and he wants to find that again. I'm hopeful to put us in a position where we can offer just that to Rudy and others that we are putting our stamp on this franchise.

"He clearly is emerging as our No. 1 option right now, and to be a No. 1 option in a competitive situation is pretty appealing … It's a chance to establish a marketing identity and presence in two markets. You really have the best of both worlds. You can market yourself to the Canadian marketplace as a completely separate entity and the American marketplace as a separate entity."
Quote:
As for whether Toronto's cold climate could deter Gay from staying, he reiterated what Colangelo had pointed out at his new player's introductory press conference: "It's cold, but I went to Connecticut and I'm from Maryland, so it's not far from that."
Quote:
"I'm excited about this team – excited about the possibilities of how good we can be," he said. "It was kind of a mixture of feelings when it first happened, getting traded and not knowing anything and one day thinking you're competing for a championship and the next day you're getting shipped off somewhere. It was a mixture of feelings…and now I've just got to embrace where I'm at. I'm happy I'm a Raptor right now… I want to see this team be a good team, to be a playoff team again."
LINK - USA Today
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key