Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre and the backlash was appalling
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ex2k
is getting to the line..

Representing:
Post Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre and the backlash was appalling

Thought I would post this here... saw this as a trending article and i know that there are alot of south asian users on this board... i just find this truly ignorant.

Quote:
Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre and the backlash was appalling

By Neate Sager | Eh Game 7 hours ago

Anyone old enough to read this is too old to need a reminder about the evils of racism. It's just disappointing, if not surprising, when this happens.

Tuesday's late-night TSN Sportscentre was hosted by Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim. There was a backlash on Twitter in 2012 when Ahluwalia and Karim, who are both brown men, debuted with the network. Tuesday was just as bad for comments that, rather than put a damning label on people, should just be called dumb.

One has to wonder where people are coming from when they cannot handle having two brown men narrating sports highlights. One can understand a disappointed reaction upon tuning in and not seeing the familiar faces of funnymen Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole at the anchor desk. But how does it go from that to this?

Quote:
Matthew Lowe @Lowesy12

Two arabs on tsn talking about hockey... Interesting
Quote:
Adam @iamthearch

Does TSN have a punjabi network now or something?
Quote:
Dome Beers @DomeBeers

Which one is harold and which one is kumar? #tsn
Quote:
Pierre Beasse @PBeas91

When did TSN move to the middle east? #WTF #WheresJayAndDan #NeedMyBedtimeFix
Quote:
Derek Bowler @derekboner

Awww the girlfriend must have bought me punjabi sports channel. Lover o so much. Suck it #tsn #notcricket #hrudey pic.twitter.com/CEzfBnkf
A few came to their senses and offered apologies. But was it because of the heat generated by their comments or from actually understanding, for instance, how low it is to make a terrorist 'joke' about anyone who is brown? Hard to tell.

Quote:
Mitch Murphy @Murph83

Apologies to #nabil and #gurdeep and everyone that's yelling at me on here. It was a joke, not supposed to offend anybody! #mybad
Full article:

Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre ? and the backlash was appalling | The Eh Game - Yahoo! Sports Canada
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key