Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Will the Raptors suffer the same fate as the Grizzlies?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggmo View Post
Oh I'm not at all saying cap space can't be valuable, but as you said yourself, BC has never ever used it in that way, and pretty clearly never wanted to try (again you're probably right on the pressure from ownership). Given all that refer to what you just quoted. Capspace for us with BC as a GM is entirely useless as he, nor MLSE, will allow a rebuild.
Yeah, fair enough. But it's not a certainty that Bryan is always going to be the GM, so some of us were/are thinking about the future with the possibility of a GM who really values flexibility, rather than just claiming to and doing the exact opposite.

I actually think this deserves a thread to clear the air about what people mean when they talk about wanting financial flexibility and cap space, because so many fans (not necessarily you) automatically assume we mean that we need it to sign FAs, and then they respond with a strawman like "what FA is going to sign here?! Who else will we get!>"

It's typical Jeffb stuff. Even with Landry. "He's not that overpaid and it's not a big deal!"

Actually, that $6 mill probably could have netted us Rudy weeks earlier, and got us a future 1st round pick thrown in. We could have offered the cap relief that Cleveland gave them, all in one big trade.

Imagine how valuable that 1st round pick would be now, as we consider moving Bargnani for something other than pure trash.

It's okay to have 1 or 2 big contracts. You have to in order to win. It's just the constant pattern of overpaying that is dangerous. Every good move is nullified or diminished by something else that is very stupid.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key