Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors lack "adaptability"
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
TORaptor4Ever
"Fake All-Star"

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
When you say that the things that Sam do make popovic a great coach, you kind of imply that. My point is that you can't use popovic to validate anything Sam does, even if they do the same thing, they probably have different reasons ...

Going back to the topic, I don't know whether he should or shouldn't stick to a principle - there is probably no inherent good or bad in either approach. But I believe sticking to a system, doesn't mean you never change ANYTHING. If you have a mismatch, you exploit it, if a player is hot, you ride it. If something doesn't work in a particular game, you stop doing it.

I agree that when a proven tactic doesn't work because of the randomness of the game (open shots don't fall, botched layups etc), you should continue with it. But when your tactic doesn't work because the other team has a successful counter for it, it's kind of stupid to keep doing it, don't you think?
YES.

This is what I'm talking about. Great teams see what you do well and take that away from you. If it's post play... 3 pt shooting... fastbreaks... etc....

The Spurs and the Raps are in such different situations that you can't even compare them. One team is a perennial title contender. The other is trying just to make the playoffs.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote