Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raptors lack "adaptability"
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
TORaptor4Ever
"Fake All-Star"

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
Christ Torap - how am i baiting you?

Pop isn't one to emphasize changing the way his team plays due to a hot shooter or something. At the half I can imagine him insisting that his team play their brand of basketball better, not differently.

The good teams are those that stick to their principles and weather the ups and downs in any game, not the ones that sway back and forth depending on what the other team might be doing. Are we that good yet? Maybe not, but I think it's about the right time to carve out their identity and stand by it. It was you that was bitching about their lack of an identity last season no?

That said - I would agree that on a certain level Sam needs to be able to use his roster better. I wouldn't have minded him using Bargnani more last game. But they are eight games in, and there is a completely different dynamic in place with JO here, and he has to have a bit longer to be able to get a feel for that dynamic. IMO anyway - I would guess that in your opinion Sam should not have had two minutes of the pre-season to learn what he has with this team.
You misunderstand what I'm staying.

The Spurs have little to change when it comes to their STYLE of play. They're a championship team, have 3 all-stars and one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

Their rotation is clearly established because they know what they're going to get from each and every player night in and night out.

We don't. So for now we have to improvise.

What I'm getting at isn't so much changing a team's IDENTITY but making small adjustments that disrupt what the other team is trying to do.

I'll give you an example.

Remember back about 10 years when MJ's Bulls played Reggie's Pacers in the ECF? The Bulls coud have easily said "hey, we're the champs. We're going to play our game and let other people adapt to US..." but they actually made a radical change in Game 1 and continued to use it throughout the series.

They let Pippen guard Mark Jackson even though Pip was a "3" and Mark was a "1". Brilliant coaching strategy. And it won them the first 2 games before IND started to get used to it.

That's the kind of thing that I'm talking about.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote