Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Grange: Time's about up for Martin
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
Let's add a couple more names to the list of players that have developed on the Raptors bench shall we? Jerome Moiso, Omar Cook, Andre Barret, Pape Sow, Loren Woods... all studs, all playing in the dleague, europe or parts unknown. Not saying Ukic doesn't have more talent but you need playing time in games to develop young players... not practice time and cheerleading time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! View Post
Those sound like excuses to me... none of those names got the minutes that Jose did... and granted they may not have the game to begin with but they obviously didn't develop any sitting on the bench most games either.
First of all, I gotta admit, this is fun talking ball again.

Two, Moiso had plenty of time to develop in Boston. Hell, he was given opportunity after opportunity. He just never decided to capitalize on it. Same with Woods in Minnesota. Hell, I think the year he was drafted he was their starting Centre. He was thrown, literally right to the Wolves, but he couldn't capitalize on his playing time. Andrea Barret was a fringe NBAer at best, and Omar Cook shouldn't have declared early and when he did play he was terrible in Orlando and Denver (trust me, it hurts seeing a St. John player play as poorly as he did).

But maybe I'd just have Ukic learn from NBA players and coaches rather than international players how to play the game. Again, that's how I'd want it. I agree Ukic does need the playing time and Europe will help his confidence, but I think that when Ford goes down with an injury and we're forced to play Martin I'd much rather have Ukic in those minutes because they're more crucial than anything he will play in Europe.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote