Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Ball Don't Lie's Around the NBA Daily 2012-2013 Edition
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #1882 (permalink)
Ball Don't Lie
We going to the 'ship!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity View Post
Did you watch the games or are you just looking at stats? Lakers were bottom 5 in three point percentage last season, you don't think that had something to do with the lack of shot attempts for Bynum? The spacing was TERRIBLE last season. Teams packed the paint and dared the Lakers to shoot. It's not just as simple as dumping the ball in the post every possession and letting Bynum go to work. Teams would rather take that away and let Kobe take perimeter shots. And for good reason.

This season I may agree with you, but last season was a different story.
I watched the games, I dont base my opinions on stats, I may use stats to help back them up sometimes but that's it. You can say that teams let Kobe take those shots, but then I would argue that he saw a lot more help defence and double teams last year than this season. He's been in single coverage a lot more this year due to the weapons around him, and hes often still taken 20+ shots per game. I know Bynum is a horrible passer out of the double team, but he didnt see the ball nearly as much as he should have because too many ISOs were taking place 24 feet from the basket by Kobe. Their offence was backwards. They should have tried to get Bynum a lot more touches last year. Most teams didnt front him because of Gasols passing ability in the high post, and yet Bynum was still only taking 10-12 shots a lot of games. The Lakers should have at least tried to work it inside first, but again, they just kept going to Kobe on the outside, partly because Brown is a horrible coach with no system, but also because Kobes ego is so big that he cant share the spotlight at this point in his career.

This year it's a little different though since DAntoni doesnt seem to want to use Howard at all in the post even though he's very effective when getting consistent touches. Their whole offence is out of whack, but still, he should never be taking 25+ shots per game when he has 3 other hall of famers around him, and MWP who's having a renaissance season. Kobe should do more of what he did last game and create more for others being aggressive off of the dribble.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote