Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Super Luxury Tax, Cap and Expiring Contracts
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
I'm going to pull a Bill and get nit picky, a buyers market - or soft market - means there are more sellers (players) than buyers (teams) which will drive the price down for the players and not up. I can see players holding onto their options so not to flood the market and drive the market price down. Even if the cap goes to 69.65 (really thats only an 8 mil increase) over half the current teams are over that already this year and that number only slightly decreases next year (not even accounting for cap holds). This increase will help the teams offset current payroll to avoid till all the CBA is fully implemented.

It's actually an $11 mill increase over this year's cap. The cap is 58ish right now.

Also, some of the teams that will be under the cap in July, are going to be significantly under the cap. Some will even be significantly under the 90% minimum threshold.

You might be right that a few playesr elect to stick with current contracts, like, say Trevor Ariza or Kirilenko, who already make decent coin at 7 and 10 mill respectively. But a number of guys like Mayo, J.R. Smith, and Carl Landry will opt out and get paid. If the revenue projection is accurate, it frees up significant cap space league wide.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote