Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Best perimeter defenders?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
woodchuck
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

I think Shumpert was overrated last year, which happens to good rookies in New York. He sure has a ton of upside if he gets healthy, but he made so many dumb rookie mistakes, that there's no way I'd put him in top 10 or possibly even top 20 (i haven't thought of top 20, so I don't know for sure). To me, Shumpert is in that 3rd or 4th tier group alongside the likes of Chandler Parsons, James Johnson and Ariza. But he sure has upside.

Also, in general, I think one thing that has to be considered is the roster. If you play on a team with no help defense and no rim protection, it's going to be much harder. Like, I don't think Batum is overrated at all, unless people consider him all-defense or something. He's very good. But his team makes it very hard for him.
The same problem with Kirilenko in Minnesota. I think he's very good, I could see a case for top 10. But there's no rim protection on that roster and shaky defense overall. It adds a degree of difficulty.

I see guys like Kirilenko and Batum in the same group as Paul George. These guys are all great but also flawed. Paul George is far from perfect, he's not the smartest defensive player yet and he fails in two man game a lot, and he gets killed defending some of the big wings who can post him up. But compared to Batum or Kirilenko, it's much easier for George to be successful with Hibbert behind him and a great defensive system/smart players around him.
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote