Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - What They're Saying: 2012-2013 Edition
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #367 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I'll never understand why Prince chose to re-sign with them.

He could have been a great piece in MIA, BOS, SAS, etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I wonder if he has a bad reputation as a teammate (he and Hamilton treated Iverson like crap).
Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
He's one of those players that wants to stay with his team.
1- He wouldn't have got major minutes in MIA or BOS, because they already had Lebron and Pierce at SF. And he wouldn't fit with Miami's small ball lineups when Lebron plays the 4. He's not as perimeter oriented (passing and high volume 3 point shooting) as Miller and Ray Allen for the small ball. Also, by the time Prince was a free agent, Boston already had Jeff Green backing-up Pierce, so they had a significant chunck of money already tied up at the SF spot in 2011.

I don't think those scenarios made sense for him in terms of minutes or money. Especially when you consider the reduced price of the MLE for Miami due to their salary situation. Miami only spent 3 mill on Battier and 3 mill on Allen. Prince would not get more, whereas he got 7 mill in Detroit. The dollars add up over several years.

2-The Spurs might have been able to use him, but they've been constantly trying to stay under the tax. He wouldn't have even got the full MLE from them. That summer the Spurs filled their need a much cheaper way by just drafting Kawhi Leonard.

The Spurs wouldn't have made a move for Prince unless it was via trade, so that they could unload some of their own salary and stay under the tax, which they ultimately did when they picked up S-JAX for Jefferson. That option was not available for Prince.

3- I think halph's right that he is somewhat loyal to Detroit. That's probably a a part of it, since there were other playoff teams that might have offered Prince the MLE back in 2011. But all the really serious contenders were already fine at SF.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote