Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Davis/Valanciunas frontcourt
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
carp

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Davis is showing signs of being a very good passer - when he gets the ball further out from the rim he's not a complete waste on offense, even though he doesn't have great range.

Also, Valanciunas looks like his range will be much better when he gets his legs under him.

Long term I think this is a good pairing, even if they're a little limited at the moment.
I'm starting to agree, long term... both need to get stronger, Ed needs more size too. Defensively they get bullied a lot. Offensively, I think they're only going to get better. The down low synergy is impressive.

I think the thing that is so disappointing this year in terms of our frontcourt is how over-reliant Casey has been on the spacing idea. He's used AB primarily as a floor spacer/long distance iso/decoy and it's really taken away his effectiveness. AB on the block or down low, on defense too, would really add to his game. When he returns, I really hope Casey integrates AB into the 'new' system, off the bench, and rather than trying to devise a perimeter iso offense centered around Lowry, AB and DD like early in the season. Jose's scoring has really increased and that adds another dimension which takes the pressure off Ed, Amir and JV... and should off AB as well. I think there could be a really good 4 big man rotation here if Casey doesn't overthink his pieces like he seems to have done.

Also, Amir in the 4-smalls rotation has been terrific. He's more defensively sound than Ed at this stage and he's got more size and strength. Props to Amir.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote