Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jonas Valanciunas: False Messiah?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #87 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Of course, a 23yr old averaging 25/5/5.....too funny.

If Derozan was averaging that we'd give him a max deal and most wouldn't say a word.
He's overrated in terms of how 'great' he is.

Does he put up big numbers? Yes. He's the primary option on that team. He's always been a natural scorer. That's never been his problem.

He was a better overall player on OKC though. He had a role and he excelled at it. Hence, my comment that he was rated essentially where he should be to slightly underrated to now being overrated.

And if Demar were to average that, I would still question the validity of the contract. It's a matter of how does he improve his teammates game (if at all). A max player (with today's economics) should help improve the overall team not only for himself but by improving the play of others. If not, he will likely be handicap (small or large) in the future.

This all essentially boils down to the argument of, who is worth a max contract and who is not. I understand market forces dictate that, but for arguments sake, I throw that notion out the window.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote