Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jonas Valanciunas: False Messiah?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #86 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptors1995 View Post
How is building around an all-star caliber player at any other position any different? Carter gave us some of the best basketball we ever watched here in Toronto. He literally put Toronto on the map. That experiment failed for several other reasons. If management actually stepped up and Butch Carter incorporated T-Mac moreso into the offense, who knows things might have been a little different. We definitely had the talent if we retained those peices to contend for the eastern conference championship. Kobe even mentioned that in the past.
Perhaps I don't think that highly of James Harden? It's easier to build around a post presence imo than a guard. Basketball, specifically playoff basketball is still routinely played in a half court setting. Having big guys who can pass, shoot and rebound at a high level are critical. SFs would be next on that list as they're routinely your best player.

Quote:
Moreover, I'm fairly confident almost every GM would be willing to pay Harden that type of money right now. We would have Lowry and Harden. We could move Bargnani for other pieces. We would still have space. Does it mean we contend for a championship? No. We at least have one major piece of that puzzle moving forward. I'd like to think Lowry is a good piece as well.
Sam Presti was not willing to pay that price.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote