Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jonas Valanciunas: False Messiah?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #85 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptors1995 View Post
It doesn't mean we can't take a critical approach to his game. Why can't we mention Drummond's name? I didn't even state that Andre Drummond would be better, but merely left an open ended question: what if that were the case one day? We passed on him and someone gets frustrated at the mere mention of the pick coming back to haunt us. That's what makes me want to scream. It's definitely within the realm of possibility that one day that could be the case.
I don't think you know my posting history here. I've been against Drummond since, I want to say February of 2011. I think more individuals read NBAdraft.net and see the comparison (hence why I read Amare so much) and think, oh he's a steal. Why? (Not to you right now), but why? Did you watch him in college or on youtube? Did you only read about him on the internet? Are mock drafts gospel? THAT'S what drives me crazy about Drummond. Everyone watched his highlight reel and read his player comparisons and then think they know better than evaluators during draft time! (/rant)

In regards to the question, it's a question that can always be asked of any player. It's disingenuous to do this early into anyone's career because we don't have enough of a body work to judge from. Everything's in the realm of possibility. This is attempting to search for a story when one doesn't exist (yet).

This is what drives me crazy about our fan base, unrealistic expectations, and when they aren't met, we need to evaluate. No one thought JV was a messiah (as your thread title insinuated), at least not this season. A 20 y.o. centre, in his first year in the NBA, adapting to a new culture, will take, at minimum 2 years before providing tangible results. Patience is a virtue.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote