Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jonas Valanciunas: False Messiah?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #67 (permalink)
carp

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
I don't argue "profit" of offseason and regular practices, but it has nothing to do with his play time now, does it? No matter if he spends 5min on court or 40 he will still do weights with the same energy etc.
I was merely talking about his actual playing experience which will be decreased, thus taking him longer to adapt.
Anyways, don't get me wrong, I thought he won't be getting more than 15mpg before season started and was surprised by the trust he was given as as 20y/o rookie. I do think though, that having those 15mpg from the start and keeping it consistent would have worked better than making him starter with 35mpg and then keep decreasing his role in the team, for psychology reasons.
I actually see your point, but if he's struggling, his confidence needs to be protected. What you're going to see is his playing time increase gradually as the year goes on.... his confidence is of the utmost importance in his development. If you overplay him now and he loses it, he's lost for the year.... we can't afford our number one asset to have shattered confidence.

He's going to get his time, but there is also value to him seeing how other, smaller less talented players are handling the guys that he's struggling with. He's a smart kid, might be our smartest player actually. He's shown he can adapt, I expect he will. His confidence though is key. Casey needs to protect it.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote