Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Jonas Valanciunas: False Messiah?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #66 (permalink)
Tomas
counting sheeps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I hate this narrow focus... JV can improve and develop by the extra energy in practice, in the weightroom, and having more time to rest. The idea that young players only develop through gameplay is ridiculous. Most players actually do more developing in the offseason.... why? Because they have more time and energy to focus on skill development and physical improvement. The league is a grind, it wears young men out. The extra rest will give JV plenty of time and rest to improve while still getting decent minutes.
I don't argue "profit" of offseason and regular practices, but it has nothing to do with his play time now, does it? No matter if he spends 5min on court or 40 he will still do weights with the same energy etc.
I was merely talking about his actual playing experience which will be decreased, thus taking him longer to adapt.
Anyways, don't get me wrong, I thought he won't be getting more than 15mpg before season started and was surprised by the trust he was given as as 20y/o rookie. I do think though, that having those 15mpg from the start and keeping it consistent would have worked better than making him starter with 35mpg and then keep decreasing his role in the team, for psychology reasons.
Tomas is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote