Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Quincy Acy got a speeding ticket trying to get to the game
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is the baby faced assassin

Representing:
Raptors Quincy Acy got a speeding ticket trying to get to the game

and then didn't get any burn.

Quote:
NP: Can you take me through your day?

QA: It was 6:30 in the morning. The hotel phone rings. It was Jama [Mahlalela, Raptors director of player development] saying they wanted to call me back up. I was like, ‘OK.’ He asked how far it was from Bakersfield to L.A. I said about two hours. He said, ‘There’s a 10 a.m. flight. We’re going to look for a car service.’ They couldn’t find one. So my girlfriend was out there with me. She had a rental car. So I had to wake my son up. She had to get up. I had to pack real quick. We had to get on the road. I’m speeding through the mountains. There were twists and turns. I was speeding the whole way. I got pulled over. [The police officer] didn’t let me off.”

NP: How much was the ticket for?

QA: I don’t know. I didn’t even look. I just put it in my pocket and left.

NP: How fast did she say you were going?

QA: I was going 90 [miles per hour] in a 65 [zone]. I was gunning it. After that, we hit L.A. traffic. I was like, ‘Oh my God. I’m not going to make it.’ I was talking to Jama, and I thought we weren’t going to make it because we had to drop off the rental. He said, ‘Just tell Morghan [Acy’s girlfriend] to drop you off at the [terminal] and leave your bag and just take whatever you have with you. So, she dropped me off. I left her a little cash and she dropped my bags off. We got through [check-in]. I was sprinting through the airport. ‘Am I going to get there in time?’ I made it here [to Toronto.] When I get out of the airport, there’s traffic. We pull up to the gym with 20 minutes until tip.

That’s big time. That’s a kid wanting to make it in the NBA
NP: How long were you in traffic in Toronto?

QA: I got here like an hour before we got to the arena. It was brutal.

NP: Had you ever made that drive before?

QA: No, not from Bakersfield to L.A. In AAU, we used to drive from Texas to Vegas and into California, so I’ve seen the mountains. But it was interesting. We had three games in Reno. And on our way back from that game, we had an eight-hour bus ride at night. I’m glad to be back.

Toronto Raptors forward Quincy Acy’s crazy cross-continental sprint | NBA | Sports | National Post

Last edited by jeffb; 12-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote