Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - What is the right way to rebuild this team?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
woodchuck
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

I don't think this team/ownership has the guts / ambition to adopt a long term "tank" rebuilding plan like OKC or Charlotte right now. I think that much has been clear when the new ownership came in and had a chance to change direction of the team, and yet BC had the green light to do the "lets win now" moves he did or tried to do.
I think that shows a lot.
The ownership was flash, they want to attract fans, they don't want to risk losing any more ticket/TV money, they don't want the team to be terrible anymore. They'd rather be lower seed in the playoffs for a decade than start a serious rebuilding process.
That's my impression anyway.

So, what's to hope for? Well, long term, the hope has to be that the team "lucks into" contention. The way Memphis Grizzlies did when Marc Gasol and ZBO exceeded expectations. Or the Pacers did when they got Granger, Hibbert and George with mediocre picks.
It's possible, even if it's not the best approach.

And short term, I think there's no reason to do anything but try get better this year.
You still have rookies to develop. Some of the vets body language right now --- i'm not impressed. That has to change. For the sake of the rookies, for one. And secondly, simply because there's really no point to tank when the pick is likely gone, and it's a bad draft on top of it.
So i'd say make a trade and get some really good vets on short deals.
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote