Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Defense? I'll say it again...
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Are we really a running team anymore? The only guy getting runouts is TRoss... and that's been one game.
I think you may have missed my point here.

When all you work on and preach and build during the offseason and training camp is to be a better running team you're moving away from what your identity was (and well was building towards), a defensive team that wouldn't blow you out offensively but would win 'ugly' and through a simple half court offence. We played to our strengths and it succeeded.

Now, all we heard and worked on was running. Get fast break points. What worked was being a half court offence. Was using (for example) Jose's strength running a half court offence where he could get back on defence relatively quickly. It was using guys like Gray in the low post when they had time to set up and playing slow, methodical basketball.

We've gotten away from that, however our personnel matches still to playing a slow style.

On top of that, because of our youth, the lessons learned last year were not reinforced because there was the assumption that they were ingrained and would be remembered. Obviously it has not been the case.

I don't see this team really turning around until mid December. That's when I think we'll see the team we saw last year. A team focused on defence and that plays defence well. The problem is, it will be far too late by that point.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote