Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Players call their own fouls
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Renihan_00
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Is there a penalty for being wrong? If there is, that kind of defeats the purpose of being fouled. If not, nothing would deter players from calling fouls. And imagine how choppy the game would be, especially if refs have to sort out every disagreement, not to mention there would be a disagreement on almost every play.

Also imagine how offensive fouls would work, charge is the hardest play to call for a ref, imagine for a player taking a charge. I'm assuming your not including this, but if you are it would be a huge problem. Which actually brings into question which fouls can be called, what about on the floor fouls, when players think it's a shooting foul? Way too many problems.
Yes my initial post suggested that there needs to be a penalty for challenging the foul and being wrong.

You can call as many fouls as you want but you better be right or else you are going to be challenged and you will lose points for your team (or whatever you penalty is determined to curb the behavior)

Someone else mentioned the charge thing, I haven't considered it in detail but it is something that remains to be addressed.

There is still going to be ref discretion once there is a play that is disputed but it limits the ref involvement until that time.

Hey can't agree on the floor? Go to the arbitrator. Decision is final.

When you mention disagreements among refs, it's a red herring because that is still a problem that exists currently. This would not change that.

Would it make the game choppy? MAYBE! I agree with you that you would need to find a way to ensure ref decisions are fast.

I would argue that it would make the game less choppy (after a choppy clusterfuck putting it in) because players WILL be scared to call fouls and that potentially will lower the number of ticky-tacky fouls, superstar calls and game stoppages

Last edited by Renihan_00; 11-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote