Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bryan's legacy.
Thread: Bryan's legacy.
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked and Nasty!
adoring his baby girl.

Representing:
Default Bryan's legacy.

Since the TJ Ford trade scenario has begun to surface again with Jose's improved play this got me thinking about the dilemna Bryan Colangelo will be in once Ford returns.

From the day he arrived or shortly thereafter Ford was slated as his starting guard...he's young, good friends with the franchise player and has oodles of potential to an already impressive slill set. Calerdon at the time was likely viewed as a serviceable backup with Ukic on the horizon likely to take that job.

Now the world has changed... Jose has improved more in the past two years than anyone on this continent could have predicted and while he still has defensive deficiencies, is finally learning really how to run this offense to produce wins on top of the impressive stat lines.

Whether or not you believe TJ Ford is or still can be the better point guard of the two it's difficult to argue that he doesn't have all star potential so it goes without saying there's some big decisions to make in the future.

Issues as I see them:

1. Both Jose and TJ are starter quality guards in this league.
2. Jose has played well enough to deserve this starter's job on Toronto but so did TJ before he got hurt, and most coaches adhere to the unwritten rule that you dont' lose your starting job because of injury....so when both are 100% who starts?(rhetorical, dont' answer yet).
3. Roko is making a name for himself in Europe and rumour has it he might be on his way here next year.
4. This team doesn't have room for a 3rd point guard to actually get minutes except during an injury state and we know Roko won't come over if he's not guarenteed minutes.
5. Trading Calderon will be easy after you give him more money... his value is high, teams need him and once he's making a good salary you can get good pieces in return.
6. TJ's trade value may or may not be as high... due to his health risk. Trading him might be more difficult i'm not sure but as a GM how do you rate potential vs potential injury?
7. TJ is not the type of personality to graciously accept being number 2 longterm.
8. Jose thusfar is that type of personality but will he remain so next year?

It's not in my opinion as easy as saying "trade TJ" or 'trade Jose". Both have asterisk's beside them, one for his injuries and the other his contract. Can they coexist next season? What about the 3rd stringer...we know Martin is done.

This will be the decision I think that will define BC's legacy in Toronto...at least in the early years. What he does will have potentially huge ramnifications and I'm glad i'm not the one having to make the decision.

Anyways, please dont' make this another TJ vs JOse thread...I mean this to be a thread about Colangelo and the future of our team. If you give an opinion on which way you think BC will go...dont' say things like Jose is better or TJ is the one with more potential...we've argued that to death and we dont' know how BC feels about that today. Look at it more from a business side please?
Sick, Wicked and Nasty! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote