Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Iverson: a 'loser'.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
INSIDER
BOOBS

never too old.

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
You're usually on point insider, but you're jumping the gun on this one as of now. AI I dont think has ever played in a structured offence before, so playing in his first game vs anyone obviously theres gonna be a lot of confusion and DET's gonna have a hard time winning vs anyone with a star player coming into that kind of system in his first game, and the 2nd game they would have lost anyway because Boston is just better.

Its gonna take some time for AI to get used to making the easy pass that may not lead to the assist, something he really hasnt done ever, and its going to take Hamilton and Wallace a lot of time learning how to play off him and still get their shats.

I'd give it 15 games before judging, by mid DEC we'll have a much better idea if this improved them at all.

Personally I like Billups a lot more as do a lot of people here as a player and for that DET team, but everyone knew that DET needed a shakeup because it was gonna be 2nd rd or ECF and out again, and this way they have a lot of cap flexibility after this year with Iverson instead of Billups as well. It really is low risk high reward when you look at it more in depth, something I didnt do when I first saw the rumor. I dont think itll ultimately work withIverson at the helm but itll set DET up beautifully for next year on.
i hear ya thrills.
i'm rooting for AI because he's a warrior, but i still cant shake the idea that he cant win unless he's the main and lone guy.
and your point is bang on... alot of people saw this trade as AI going to detroit to win it all, but missed the main reasoning behind it all - cap flexibility.
dumars isnt an idiot, he knows that AI's 20+ million which comes off the books next year is the main treasure of the trade.
dumars isnt banking on AI making much of a difference to the pistons other than 'shaking it up', his main goal is to have the funds to net a major FA (wade, bosh, lebron) in 2010.
so anyone thinking that dumars did this move on the sole intention of winning now is a fool IMO.
INSIDER is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote