Originally Posted by bjjs
I think it's a ridiculous notion; however, it makes for interesting discussion which I don't have a lot of time for at work. A few quick points.
1. "Superstar calls" happen in pick-up, they would most definitely still occur. These aren't a product of the NBA.
2. Travelling is subjective
3. Out of Bounds is actually subjective
4. Their would be no offensive fouls - these don't happen in pick-up basketball.
What would happen without officials is the same superstars would rule the league; moreso actually. You would have some really physical match-ups when you have younger guys trying to test the top dogs, and fighting would be a regular occurance.
1. "Superstar calls" - upon review would these not be caught? If not, why would we be worse off?
2. Yes but as I mentioned at the top, this would still be called by a live ref
3. Yes this could also be called by a live ref
4. Good point, did not think of this. Would have to come up with something for this (or same system)
The idea is to decrease the impact of the referee on the game and give them less power