Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - How would great organizations develop our young talent differently?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
carp

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingRap View Post
They draft intelligently. I was watching Moneyball last night and thinking about the Spurs. They consistently draft guys that get overlooked and have a strong enough system to hide their initial deficiencies and play to their strengths. Eventually these guys grow, and in the case of Leonard, they trade an overlooked guy in Goerge Hill for someone who has all-star level talent for the future. They go on winning because Popovich and Buford are completely in step with what they want to do, and they understand the landscape in terms of how to thrive being the smallest of small market teams.
I think this team is going to be in the toilet with this playoff pipe dream. we'll be lucky to win 30 games this year.
Agreed.... but there is also something to be said for having the patience to develop that system and familiarity. They've had Pop there for a long, long time now. We can't just hope for every new coach to be the saviour and keep dumping them after 2-3 years either. Also, I think this franchise got confused thinking certain depth players have more potential than they actually do. You can't expect that every player maximizes their potential.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote